leg vise plans?

Anyone know where I could find some? Been trying Google, etc with no luck.
Thanks in advance.
Reply to
Strube
I recommend you just have a look at one. They are very simple tools, but not all that simple to forge. I hope you have a striker to help you out. :-)
Ron
Reply to
Ron Reil
Not simple to forge, true. But what about fabricating one? Forget the pretty forged lines. Just weld and bolt pieces of steel together. Buy an Acme threaded screw and nut, or scrounge an old screw-jack for those parts. Seems to me a decent welder could make a serviceable vise.
However, I don't think it's worth it unless there are special requirements. I've picked up vises for anything from $12 for a 4"-er, to $100 for a nice 6"-er.
Bruce
Reply to
Bruce Freeman
Not really plans, but here's a picture and description of one man's home-built vise.
-Marc
Reply to
Marc Godbout
I Have 1 big sucker and one smaller one for sale here in Sydney Australia if anyone is interested. Postage would be a bit high to the USA though :-) Dave.
Reply to
David Armstrong
Thanks Marc. Just what I was looking for. Cannot, however, work out how the foot pedal works. Well it is Monday and the aftermath of rugby fever :-) You have to a Brit or Aussie to understand this. Regards GeoffH Norfolk - UK
Reply to
GeoffH
If you check out the rest of keenjunk.com, you'll run across their forum, called the junkyard. The designer/builder of the vise, Tony, is a very active contributor and will answer any question you ask. It might be a wise-a$$ answer, but he'll definitely give you good info in between the jokes.
We have rugby over here in the colonies, too. I didn't play, but a friend did. Mondays were a bit of a fog for him and he usually broke something each season.
-Marc
Reply to
Marc Godbout
Hello Marc, Thanks for the reply.
Have just had a quick look through the site. What a goldmine of information and projects. Glad I found it via this ng.
Didn't realise it had a following over there. The celebrations have only just started here, and will continue for the next 4 years and more. Regards GeoffH
Reply to
GeoffH
Shoot, I played tight head prop a few years on a local club team in southeast Texas. That was back in the '70's. Got knocked off my feet higher and farther than by anything else in my farmboy experience one rainy day playing a second string from "The Old Boys" club, a bunch of stevedores and ex- pro football (American) players. Thank goodness it was muddy for a soft landing.
I enjoyed it a lot more than high school football. Of course, there was the beer.
Pete Keillor
Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III
Another great resource is
Similar to keenjunk, with some of the same people in the forums. But it's got a great section, called iForge, which is a collection of projects done via online demos in their chatroom. The step-by-step instructions with photos and drawings is probably better than any book I've got.
Last, but not least, look do a search for TheForge. That's an email list with a lot of great and helpful folks.
-Marc
Reply to
Marc Godbout
Thanks to all who made suggestions. When (O.K., IF) I get one built, I will let the group know and post pics in an appropriate place.
Thanks again!
Reply to
Strube
I found a set of plans for a vertical vise on the Abana site. The site takes some searching, but there's some good stuff there.
>Anyone know where I could find some? Been trying Google, etc with no luck. >Thanks in advance. > > > > >
Reply to
thebigZbird