aluminium silicone question

Has anyone milled aluminium silicone? I'd like to hear from someone with hands on experience.

I've read about it and how it destroys the cutting edge, I need some tips. The usual grade is 20% silicone, we have to use 40%.

We are looking at diamond coating tools, high feed per tooth, deep depth of cut and keeping an eye on the load meter.

DanP

Reply to
DanP

It's been a while since I've milled that,if I recall it was brutal on the tool cutting edge. I used a thicker than average mixture in my coolant. The one thing in particular I found was the need to aim the coolant nozzle directly at the cutting point, if the coolant wasn't directly on the cutting point,with a good flushing action I found the tool would gaul up the flutes,and made me very irritated.

Reply to
Just Me