What kind of magnets?

From wiki on Neodymium

Neodymium metal dust is a combustion and explosion hazard. Neodymium compounds, as with all rare earth metals, are of low to moderate toxicity; however its toxicity has not been thoroughly investigated. Neodymium dust and salts are very irritating to the eyes and mucous membranes, and moderately irritating to skin. Breathing the dust can cause lung embolisms, and accumulated exposure damages the liver. Neodymium also acts as an anticoagulant, especially when given intravenously.[6]

Neodymium magnets have been tested for medical uses such as magnetic braces and bone repair, but biocompatibility issues have prevented widespread application. Commercially available magnets made from neodymium are exceptionally strong, and can attract each other from large distances. If not handled carefully, they come together very quickly and forcefully, causing injuries. For example, a person lost part of his finger when two magnets he was using snapped together from 50 cm away.[13] Another danger is when two such magnets snap together, the force of the collision can cause them to shatter, sending sharp pieces flying around, potentially causing serious injuries.[6]

Reply to
clutch

John R. Carroll

Okay, that makes it clearer. I was concerned that Vinny was actually machining a magnet.

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to
clutch

no. I take an old dirty Kurt vice and throw it on this 3800$ magnet. Kicks azz. And it looks cool too.

Reply to
vinny

I don't believe you. I bet you clean it first.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

We got a new guy in the shop last year. Sharp as hell. He praise magnets to the sky for their versatility, and claims once you have tried it you won't look back. One of these days we're gonna give it a try.

Reply to
J. Nielsen

No different than using a vise and a good stop.

Chips stick to the magnets, pile up around work pieces and eventually get (re)eaten by cutters. Through hole work? Forget it unless willing to swiss cheese the magnets and trash tools. Shallow holes? Chips get sucked to the bottoms of holes and chew up tools. The thinner the workpieces, the greater the headaches.

Takes a minute or two to bolt a vise to a table and tram it in. Then tool clearance and rigidity isn't sacrificed by being raised off the table several inches. Plus no worries about it skittering around from cutting pressure.

Reply to
Black Dragon

BD, I know Hasco machines their bases on magnets, I wonder how they handle these problems?

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude