Blind Car Drivers?

To All:
    Some excerpts follow from an article in the latest issue of Machine Design:
========================================================http://tinyurl.com/ybcs6su
Virginia Tech students build a car blind people can drive.
    One of the first steps was to add a Hokuyo UTM-30LX single-plane laser range finder, which acts much like a radar. The sensor sends range and distance data on objects in front of the car to a CompactRIO real-time controller from National Instruments. The controller contains an FPGA that processes targets, translating the range-finder’s data into information the drive can use to stay on the road and avoid obstacles (cones).
    The tricky part, of course, was conveying the sensor information to blind drivers. The approach they chose was to take advantage of the driver’s other senses, hearing and touch. For example, drivers wear a vest with several motors sewn into it. Each motor vibrates at a variety of intensity levels. To stay within the speed limit, one of the motors vibrates to indicate braking is needed, and the degree to which it vibrates correlates with the amount of braking needed. If the controller interprets all the input data as saying there’s an unavoidable obstacle up ahead, another motor in the vest vibrates, cueing the driver to stop immediately.
    The team developed a tactile map to give drivers an idea of where they are. The flat, handheld device has small holes on one surface, similar to an air-hockey table. Compressed air sent through specific holes, or pixels, depict obstacles the laser range finder has detected. The map, named AirPix, lets drivers “feel” obstacles and navigate around them. =========================================================
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

(...)
Blind drivers? How many do you need? We're giving 'em away!

> Each motor vibrates at a variety of intensity levels.
How about a back cushion that indicates the presence of obstacles to the rear and sides? That tailgating Kenworth could give me a back massage!
--Winston
Add pictures here
βœ–
Winston wrote:

Winston:
    Some Calif. drivers seem to be in that condition already. <g>

    We use to do prototype work for "Second Sight", a company that was involved with trying to return a modicum of sight to those that became totally blind. I've drilled 100's of .005" dia. holes in small plastic wafers that supposedly acted like a crude retina, and other related devices. Interesting work.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
βœ–
BottleBob wrote:
(...)

'Way too many, Bob. I had this fantasy of handing out white canes at stop lights.
Then I realized that many don't even see the stop lights.
(...)

Cool!
I imagine that in a few decades, we'll understand visual processing in the brain well enough to stimulate the visual cortex directly, to produce full-color, high resolution images.
--Winston <-- Welcome to California. Use your turn signals; go to jail.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Winston wrote:

W:
    Yeah, just implanted chips for phone, TV, internet, perhaps increased memory. Maybe even a college education on a chip, eh. Cyborgs-R-Us. Resistance is futile. LOL
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
βœ–

Its all in the BIOS, has been for years. Big brother can watch if he wants to, with the "right" commands - no firewall, anti anything can stop it, short of pulling the plug.
"I'm sorry Hal, I cant open the bay doors"
Ah......... the Universe/Modern Marvels on History channel- much more interesting.
~g~
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/pic6.jpg
Add pictures here
βœ–
BottleBob wrote:

But seriously, Bob.
How the heck do you drill 0.005" diameter holes?
Looks awfully difficult to control even with a huge #80 bit:
http://www.funatiq.com/images/small-drill.jpg
--Winston
Add pictures here
βœ–
Winston wrote:

W:
    Normally for small holes we use carbide circuit board drills with .125 shanks. But for this particular job I used a cobalt .005" drill in a small Albrecht drill chuck so I could hold it stubby.     It was only going about 3 diameters deep (.015), in plastic. Programmed it at max RPM (10,000), and .001 pecks, feed at .5-1 IPM      Hell we've even MILLED with .005 dia. end mills. LOL
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
βœ–
BottleBob wrote:
(...)

That is impressive, any way you cut it.
--Winston
Add pictures here
βœ–
Winston wrote:

W:
    Why thank you.
    There is an example of small endmilled slots on the bottom of a cross shaped part on the bottom left picture on the first page of my homepage. I don't remember their dimension after all this time, but they look pretty small. LOL
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
βœ–
BottleBob wrote:

Beautiful work, Bob!
--Winston
Add pictures here
βœ–

This is old news, and there are much smaller endmills made by someone now, but these Jabro endmills (down to 0.004") were coated and pretty slick:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/_2001_retired_files/micromill.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/_2001_retired_files/micromill.txt
--
Ed Huntress

Add pictures here
βœ–
Ed Huntress wrote:

That's 'way tinier than I'm comfortable with.
Did you see the 4 tenths diameter cited by Bob?
http://www.pmtnow.com /
That's just silly small.
--Winston
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yeah. It's hard to believe it can cut. It doesn't look like the core is strong enough -- in fact, it seems to have no real core.
Those Jabro milling cutters were (or are -- I haven't kept in touch with them) a delicate balancing act between core strength and cutting lip, requiring perfect feedrate control to cut without jamming into the core and breaking. They work like real milling cutters, rather than engravers.
--
Ed Huntress

Add pictures here
βœ–
Ed Huntress wrote:
(...)

Feed control would be easy for folks who can hear the sound of individual molecules being popped out of the matrix. :)
At that scale, swarf is more likely inhaled than tracked into the hallway.
--Winston
Add pictures here
βœ–

I used to routinely drill holes from .001 to .003 with watchmakers spade bits!
Steve R.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Steve R. wrote:
(...)

That'll be the thing I learnt today. Thanks!
--Winston
--

On YouTube, all the tools have volume controls.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/7/2009 1:53 PM, Winston wrote:

I grew up in Cleveland, OH. up there, stop signs with white borders are optional.
Add pictures here
βœ–
tnik wrote:

Maybe it is an 'education thing'. Perhaps I should print Driver Handbooks in Braille?
--Winston
--

Congratulations Robert Piccinini and Steven A. Burd, WalMart Publicists of the
Year!

Add pictures here
βœ–

Why not? Drive-up ATMs have Braille keyboards.
LLoyd
Add pictures here
βœ–