Greatest Blind Guess of All Time

Just over 5 weeks ago I posted this on sci.energy:
"Could you find a device with performance characteristics somewhere
between caps and batteries?
I guarantee you'll become a billionaire, Nobel Laureate, get a nat'l forest renamed after you . . . "
    http://groups.google.com/group/sci.energy/browse_frm/thread/5c75683ed1a78c29/8413793e5e855390?lnk=gst&q=regenerative+braking+energy+density&rnum=1&hl=en#8413793e5e855390
Then this appears:
http://www.technologyreview.com/Biztech/18086 /
Supposedly a hybrid between a battery and a capacitor with performance characteristics far superior to batteries or capacitors. They have the backing of some successful investors so maybe it will work.
I'm going to try to flush more stuff out of the bushes.
It doesn't get any more fun than this.
Bret Cahill
Bret Cahill wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.energy/browse_frm/thread/5c75683ed1a78c29/8413793e5e855390?lnk=gst&q=regenerative+braking+energy+density&rnum=1&hl=en#8413793e5e855390
I gather they've yet to make one.
They've also overlooked a critical factor about the behaviour of ceramic dielectrics.
Graham
Eeyore wrote:

So, so you hear you're brain rattle????????
Dan Bloomquist wrote:

What do the materials scientists say ?

Steorn's magnets ?
Graham

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.energy/browse_frm/thread/5c75683ed1a78c29 /8413793e5e855390?lnk=gst&q=regenerative+braking+energy+density&rnum=1&hl=en #8413793e5e855390
Super caps like Eestor's patented device sound great on paper. If only it were true! However, a scientific analysis of the data in their patent shows flaws with respect to voltage gradients that are not likely, they probably arn't even possible. Claimed dielectric constants also stretch credibility. Should we be surprised that their gradiose plans have been beset with delays and the thing appears to be little more than vaporware? Where is the device? Unfortunately this whole field seems to be populated with charlatans, fakers and bull shit artists who's real product is bilking investors, writing articles and blowing smoke. I've watched for 20 years now and almost nothing has turned out to be real or viable. But, there is no end of dreamers who buy into the nonsense. Bob
Bret Cahill wrote:

What ever it was, you are still an idiot.....
Bret Cahill wrote:

    http://groups.google.com/group/sci.energy/browse_frm/thread/5c75683ed1a78c29/8413793e5e855390?lnk=gst&q=regenerative+braking+energy+density&rnum=1&hl=en#8413793e5e855390

Why? Just read the article.
"we are well on our way to doing everything we said we would do."
"it will initially build a 15-kilowatt-hour energy-storage system for a small electric car "
So far there is nothing but hype. It's an investor comeon.
Still - this is not just pie in the sky. Ultracapacitors exist and you can zip off to your local electronics store and purchase one if you have a local parts store. If not then pick up as many as you like from an on line distributor.
Energy density has been an issue, this company claims higher voltages are better, others are improving the surface area of the plates.