some car mag, UK?

Been asked by a guy i thinks in the US, heres the gist of the message, new on me but anyone know what hes on about?

ta

A number of times, while searching for info on sports cars, I've come across a list of car plans published in Model Cars magazine. I assume from the content, that it's a British magazine, but I can't locate the actual magazine in any search. Is it still in business? If not, can the plans still be purchased? Would anyone have copies of this mag or plans they would be willing to share? Any help would sure be appreciated. Email me off the board if you want. Thanks!

Reply to
Julian Hales

I think so. There is a magazine called "Model Cars" but it's based in this country. Since you haunt Hobby Heaven's message board occasionally you must have heard of it and the editor, Gregg Hutchings. I think it's running behind right now but that's largely because Gregg had some back surgery. I used to get it at the local hobby shop but since they bailed out there's no outlet for it here. I asked about it at the new shop in town but unless it's handled by Kalmbach they can't get it. Kalmbach isn't likely to handle a magazine so much better than their Scale Auto [no longer]Enthusiast[ic].

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Thanks Bill, passsed it on.

Reply to
Julian Hales

I keep coming across what may be this magazine when I do a search on the Ebay automotive modelling section for magazines. The ones I see I believe are from quite a while back, but I guess they could still be around. If this is the correct magazine, it is British and does feature mostly British sports cars from what I can tell by the descriptions for the auctions. hth, russ

Reply to
Russ Osborne

In article , Russ Osborne writes

Missed the start of this post, so apologies if I'm duplicating some info. However the magazine under question is (was) indeed British and called 'Model Cars'. It was an MAP (Model and Allied Publications) product that started in April 1964 as, I suppose, a sort of British equivalent to Car Model and Model Car Science in the US? However it was more heavy on slot cars and less on customs. It took over rival Miniature Auto in May 1969 and ran through until January 1973 when it was merged with the original Scale Models, which itself had started in

1970. It re-emerged in the Argus/Nexus days as a purely RC mag, and was finally re-born in 2000 as Model Cars Plus that was basically RC, but which featured the 'car columns' from Scale Models International that had just gone 'all aircraft'. (This included my own Freewheelin' column.)

However it - Model Cars Plus - was (with the original - and best.. - SMI) one of the casualties when Nexus was taken over by Highland Publications. (Much to the chagrin of many modellers as the Editor had a penchant of mimicking his 'full size' mag rivals and included those other types of models in their underwear on the covers!)

The book side of MAP/Argus/Nexus/etc has been acquired by another company - Special Interest Model Books - last year, but although some of the 'old' aircraft plans appear to be listed, there is nothing on cars. (There doesn't - as of 2002 - appear to be a Web Site for SI Books, but the email is/was

Any use?

mat

MAT IRVINE

"Ten years in the making.." (let's not exaggerate, only nine..) my space book - 'Creating Space' - is now OUT.

Mat Irvine

Thanks, Matt. There's a whole lot of info I was unaware of.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak