Cleaning up the shop

Last year while doing my civic duty i told a lawyer during voir dire i dont award any money for pain and suffering, i got sent back to the jury pool, when i got to the bull pen the gal in charge told me i could go home that they didnt need any more potential jurors.
Best Regards Tom.
azotic wrote:

They sent you home because you demonstrated that you are the kind of person who can't fairly weigh evidence and make an unbiased decision. You have a prejudice that makes you a poor candidate for a jury. They are looking for people who can set aside their own personal prejudices and make a judgment on the facts and evidence alone. You showed that you are biased and can't do that. Which is why they sent you home.
Hawke

Having been involved in litigation as a plaintiff and defendant i can tell you as a matter of fact that a jury never sees the facts only what the lawyers want them to believe are the facts. They guy that makes up better facts wins.
If the glove dont fit you must aquit.
Best Regards Tom.

That's all well and good, but you may die in channels. That's the down side. You need a bypass or cancer treatment tomorrow, and it will take two years to get approval. Same as no coverage in my mind.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

I know a guy in his early fifties that just got diagnosed with cancer. They told him it's all over his abdomen. It doesn't look good. He's still going to work and so his health insurance is covering him. But he's going to start chemo-therapy soon and if that or the spread of the disease prevents him from working he'll lose his job, and with the job will go the insurance. If he loses his job no insurance company will take on someone who already has cancer. Which means he will be without any insurance. So what then? Spend every dime he has? Become destitute and then go on some government sponsored program? Whatever, it looks like he's screwed. Now that's the same as no coverage in my mind. And that is what happens to all of you the minute you get too sick to work. Bye, bye job, bye, bye insurance, bye bye to everything you have. Great health care system, huh?
Hawke

I thought that he could continue his insurance for 18 months based on the COBRA law? For cancer, though, 18 months usually does not amount to much.
Yes, it sucks.

Cobra isn't free--instead of your employer paying the premiums now you get to pay them yourself.
Opps there goes your savings account and / or 401k...
--

> Yes, it sucks.

You realize, of course, that under COBRA you're paying the full-boat rate for the insurance you pick up. Caught in a layoff when the FDA didn't approve the drug I was working on, I did that: for my son and I and it was costing me just under $13,000/year. And that was a couple of years ago.
Someone who's just lost a job may have trouble with that. I was lucky because I slipped right into doing freelance work and could afford it. Some people are stuck.
--
Ed Huntress

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 00:47:34 -0600, Ignoramus27518
<snip>

<snip> ==========It is one thing to have the opportunity to continue medical coverage mandated by law. It is quite another to pay for it if you are out of work.
Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 09:01:16 -0600, F. George McDuffee

Indeed....Oh most definately Indeed

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 00:47:34 -0600, Ignoramus27518

========More on COBRA and the COBRA 65% subsidy from the WSJ. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126204429939308069.html?mod=WSJ_PersonalFinance_Insurance <snip> Cobra requires companies with more than 20 employees that already offer group health insurance to continue the insurance for former employees for up to 18 months. But insurance costs under Cobra have gotten so expensive that many people can't afford even their unsubsidized 35% portion. Meanwhile, millions of workers don't qualify for Cobra in the first place, because the law doesn't cover the self-employed or those working for companies that abruptly shut down or are too small, or those who didn't offer health insurance to begin with. The subsidy also is off-limits to individuals who have been unemployed the longest; only those laid off since October 2008 are eligible. <snip> ======= Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Seems a little fishy, do you know what plan he is on?
Don't know where he is from but all areas I am aware of he can't be fired if he goes on disability. If he becomes temporarily disabled, he needs to first exhaust short term/long term disability periods with his company by retaining coverage under his group plan as long as he is employed.
If he becomes permanently disabled he needs to apply for Medicare benefits. SSA will tell him what Medicare benefits are available. File for that disability claim ASAP because pay is calculated from the day he files NOT the day he becomes disabled.
If he terminates employment because of his disability he may be able to continue coverage under his group plan. Employees or their dependent/s who are determined to be disabled under the Social Security Act within the first 60 days of continuation coverage (COBRA) are eligible to extend their 18 months to 29 months.
He should contact his group administrator and get advise on continuation coverage under his health plan. When he signed up for his group plan he should have received a booklet on his coverage, now is the time to re-read it, all of it. His doctors/medical office/hospital could be a good place to get advise as well.
Don't take NO for an answer. Permanent disability can take some strange twists and turns but I doubt he would have much trouble. It is normal to have an orthopedic claim denied twice before finally being awarded on the third try (second appeal using a lawyer). In the case of cancer I hope disability won't work that way.
My Wife was diagnosed and treated for cancer a few times. She went on temporary disability when she couldn't work. She was able to stay on the companies group plan each time till she was able to return to work.

It should be illegal for him to be fired or otherwise terminated for going on temporary disability. Again I don't know where he is from or what laws apply to his specific area.

In some regions a company with 50 or more employees their group plan cannot exclude preexisting conditions. On his application he only need disclose medical conditions that will limit his ability to perform his job.

Payroll deductions, that's why he has state/federal short and long term disability plans that apply to him in this case. Also if supplemental plans were offered through his group insurance, hopefully he took advantage and signed up for them.

So, YOU'RE the one who's been closing down all the factories! Do you know a guy they call Dubya?
IT'S A GODDAM CONSPIRACY, I TELL YA.
Steve
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 07:58:43 -0800, "Steve B"

He retired over a year ago. There is a new guy in charge these days...Barney or Barry or something or other. Doesnt have a clue what he is doing either.
Gunner
Gunner Asch wrote:

Yeah, he's nothing like the other guy we had before. Praise Allah.
Hawke

Last I heard, the new guy had got the old guy a job as an illegal alien serving food in Haiti, or some-such :-)
Mark Rand RTFM
On 1/21/2010 1:25 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

What I see proves a point of failure in this country. That sh1t your taking in from these "shops" closing is indicative of what a shop should NOT have to be globally or even regionally competitive. You can't deliver on time if your equipment is outdated and slow compared to your competitors. If I hear that same stupid ass phrase again,"it takes a good machinist to do good work on these machines", I'll puke. They close their doors and blame it on everyone else.
First point: The shop I left does very high end work on old beat up machines. It takes twice as long as the next competitor. Work was not getting done on time. Deadlines slipped. There were layoffs as the customers reduced their exposure to them. The competitor is now working double shifts and has several new machines coming on line. That competitor has had the same customers.
Another telling point: Ever notice why all the new high end tools are metric? That's because in Europe they know the value of the tools required to complete a job on time. They have driven machine tool design for years now. All the best inserts and holders are designed and manufactured overseas. There is a higher demand for efficient tools there. Apparently not here because of our love affair with old crappy inefficient machinery.
Last point: My software has some very efficient tool paths available if you have the right machines. Less than 50% of the shops I've seen (that's what I've seen) have the capacity to run (or even know about) such paths. They stick with the old tried and true slower but deep cutting. It's a disease.
-- Bill

I concur.
Jan 2010 22:52:04 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Arrghhh! This is not to be tolerated - he left a chisel leaning on the cutting edge! I just hope it's not on metal or concrete. Not so bad if it is resting on wood.
http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/GunnersShop#5410170060566929394
B-) I know "can't remember everything." Blame it on the stroke. - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 02:01:23 -0800, pyotr filipivich

Yeegads! You are correct! Ill remedy it immediately!
Rush!! Zoom! Slam! griblegriblegribleglot! Slam! stompstompstomp
Whew! Thanks dude! I almost lost the edge on that thing!
Well done Sir..well done indeed!!!
Gunner