Harley Buys M V Augusta

True. I own four vintage offroad bikes. Of course with dirtbikes, vintage means pre-1980, anything with two shocks, air cooled engine and drum brakes.
Fred
ff wrote:

I've got a Triumph Bonneville that I bought new in 1969.
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling

With knobby tires and loud pipes, that qualifies <grin>
Fred
ff wrote:

I'm sure I've mentioned it before here. I'm a Bultaco fan though mainly Trials. I do own a Mk9 370 Pursang though if crossers are your thing.
So pre 80, twin shocks, air cooled, AND TWO Stroke is my thing. I think only 3 of my 14 bikes are later than 80. 81 Morini 500, 82 Bultaco Sherpa 340, and 84 Montesa Cota 330. The trend does seem to be no Jap stuff. I've owned it, but found the other more obscure stuff does more for me.
I'm not sure HD buying MV will do any good for either company, Only time will tell.
Wayne...
jon_banquer wrote:

While the engine isn't BUILT here in the USA(HD had too much on their plate when Erik approached them to design and build a new watercooled Vtwin), the 1125R is a SERIOUSLY competitive sport bike. A Friend of mine, a CCS/ASRA racer, cleaned house a week ago at Road America in several classes against the Ducatis, KTMs, Aprilas, and BMWs. He did this on STREET TIRES(Pirelli Corsa3s).
You'll see 'em racing in the new 2009 AMA Superbike races next year.
I've gotten to ride this bike on two different track this past year. Road America, and Blackhawk farms. It's the EASIEST bike to ride fast I've ever had the pleasure to throw a leg over.
One thing MOST folks don't realize... The VROD engine was originally a Buell project. Destined to be put in to the now XB series of bikes. That is until HD got Porsche involved and they helped make it to heavy, and too expensive to manufacture for a competitive sport bike chassis. There are some benefits from riding, and doing track days with Buell engineers :)
Steve Mackay wrote:

As far as I know Ricardo's got involved with that engine later. Can't remember the details but an ex colleague of mine was contracted to go to the US and sort some problems out. Most likely a breathing issue as he was/is one of Ricardo's WAVE s/w experts.
BMW have something around the corner for WSB I'm told.
Wayne.....
Wayne Weedon wrote:

They've announced it already, and shown pictures of the bike, which looks quite slick! http://tinyurl.com/5cnwk4
Steve Mackay wrote:

I'll have to quiz my pal when he returns from Germany then.
Wayne....

If it aint a boxer...it aint shit.
<G>
Gunner, 1978 r90/6
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:21:28 -0400, "Proctologically Violated"

They run forever, are easy to fix with bailing wire and duct tape and can be had rather cheaply if you know where to look for them.
Light enough to take off road, strong enough to pull a small trailer
Ive got 127,000 miles on mine, and still havent pulled off a head yet.
http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/photopages/photosr90-6.htm