Machine Tool Demand Increases

Good answers Jon.....LOL.

Reply to
brewertr

I just installed 6 brand spanking new OmniTurns. And they are all busy

Having a hard time finding operators

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

So Jon, why can't you answer a simple questions about machinist pay in San Diego? You do have a firm grasp of the subject don't you? What do you feel is the pay rate for a Journeyman Machinist in San Diego?

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

I have said this was the case in San Diego, CA and a worthless, lying, ignorant piece of shit named Tom Brewer, who doesn't even live here, denied it. The problem is going to get worse.

If you want more Swiss machinists suggest your industry setup training programs specifically to learn Swiss machining and start trainee=92s off at a decent wage.

I can't figure out why Matt S. is not busy as hell.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Well Jon, YOU SAID the guys that told you there was a shortage of good machinists in San Diego were offering $18-$20 per hour.

SO JON, WHAT DO YOU FEEL IS THE going rate for journeyman machinists in San Diego?

It's not a trick question, it's directly material to your argument. It will show if there really is a shortage of machinists or just a shortage of machinists willing to work for setup/operator wages.

So Jon the guys that told you there was a shortage, were they offering Journeyman Machinist Wages or not?

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

I have said this was the case in San Diego, CA and a worthless, lying, ignorant piece of shit named Tom Brewer, who doesn't even live here, denied it. The problem is going to get worse.

If you want more Swiss machinists suggest your industry setup training programs specifically to learn Swiss machining and start trainee=92s off at a decent wage.

I can't figure out why Matt S. is not busy as hell.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

See you are still having reading compression problems Jon, you missed answering a couple of simple questions. Here let me try again, pay close attention now:

WHAT

DO

YOU

FEEL

THE

GOING

PAY

RATE

IS

FOR

JOURNEYMAN

MACHINISTS

IN

SAN

DIEGO

?

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Why do you keep posting the same response? Tom keeps asking the question, and you refuse to answer. Really, all you have to type is a dollar sign and two numbers. It's even easier than your CTRL-C / CTRL- V routine that you've come to be so fond of.

Reply to
Joe788

I have said this was the case in San Diego, CA and a worthless, lying, ignorant piece of shit named Tom Brewer, who doesn't even live here, denied it. The problem is going to get worse.

If you want more Swiss machinists suggest your industry setup training programs specifically to learn Swiss machining and start trainee=92s off at a decent wage.

I can't figure out why Matt S. is not busy as hell.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

.

Reply to
jon_banquer

I have said this was the case in San Diego, CA and a worthless, lying, ignorant piece of shit named Tom Brewer, who doesn't even live here, denied it. The problem is going to get worse.

If you want more Swiss machinists suggest your industry setup training programs specifically to learn Swiss machining and start trainee=92s off at a decent wage.

I can't figure out why Matt S. is not busy as hell.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

.

Reply to
jon_banquer

The copy and paste is Jon's humble way of saying, "I have no idea what I'm talking about so I'm going to pretend like I don't see your post."

Did you get a chance to read any of his beginner Mastercam questions on CNCZone? I already knew he was very confused about Mastercam, but reading his posts over there just blew me away. It's like he just sat down in front of the software yesterday and started punching buttons! Of course, that doesn't stop him from complaining about all of the stuff that's wrong with CADCAM systems.

Reply to
Joe788

Oh! Ya, what exactly does your engineering department do while you say you are determining customers design intent and changing their models?

Reply to
brewertr

That is most likely true, now Jon not only needs to learn the correct way of doing things but he has the added task of breaking all those bad habits he picked up on his own trying to hack and whack his way thru it alone.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Matt S. *is* busy as hell. That's why I'm still working at 11:30pm. My only problem is that I've geared myself up for running high production of rather simple, small diameter (7mm & under) parts (cam operated Swiss - there's only so much you can do in 360 degrees). Most of the high production parts, read that - cheap parts, are being made elsewhere, ie. China, Korea, etc. Meanwhile, I have 8 machines sitting here collecting dust. (although, I am beginning to see some of that stuff again - the Chinese are shooting themselves in the foot - just have to hope I can hang on for a little while longer)

The only machine I have to run small quantity, complex parts, is a

10mm 5-axis Swiss. It has an automatic loader, so I occasionally run the 15-20k pieces orders, but I have to be careful not to tie it up for too long, so I don't piss off my steady customers.

=46or larger diameter parts I have a 5c CNC Gang tool lathe. Don't have a whole lot of room on the table for too many tools, so they can't be too complex. Just got about 10 weeks worth of work for this machine, that I need to get out in about 4 weeks:-( I could use a couple more of them.

I had some steady work for the cam machines. All 8 machines were cranking, almost 16 hrs/day, for 7 years. That went bye bye in January of last year, along with my employees. Right after I had built my credit back up from the misfortunes of 9/11 and bought a house. With my bread and butter gone, I'm slowly trashing my credit again - just when business is picking up and I can justify buying more machines:-/

I can find plenty of work. Just don't have the equipment, or the people, to do it. This 16hrs/day 7 days/week thing is getting old.

Been on this roller coaster for 11 years. I'm beginning to get sick to my stomach.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Stawicki

I really don't want to piss you off but this sounds like a business plan that will no longer work. I don't know how to be honest and say this any other way.

I'm now doing R&D /prototype type of work where as I was doing production. I actually really liked production but the owner refused to do it right. He thought a 1/2 million dollar Matsuura was enough. He has a great machine but he refuses to utilize it properly. Old CADCAM software (Mastercam 9), no verification software to properly run lights out (Vericut). Wasn't willing to do extensive probing.. even though we had the probe and the software. His business is now way off and his private label product line is really struggling from lack of R&D. He's a really nice guy but he just doesn't get it. He does understand why I left. I've tried to stay in contact but going there is really depressing. You can smell death in the air when you walk into his shop.

Sounds like you really need to get out now and think about a better business plan.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

Jon-the-energizer-dummy,

You claimed "lights out manufacturing" in this group and in your novedge interview. Remember I corrected you when you claimed a couple hours unattended operation constituted "lights out manufacturing".

[ "I worked Saturday and I worked Sunday while the owner went to Newport Beach." -Jon Banquer-

"Is that your version of "lights out" manufacturing?" -brewertr- "After I leave and I'm gone for say 4 hours before returning it is."-Jon Banquer- "Slight difference between a couple of hours of unattended operation and REAL "Lights Out Manufacturing"." - brewertr- ]

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Reply to
brewertr

The way I understand it Jonnie....the near death you smell...... was yours!

=2E..and didn't your old boss give you a generous severance pay so you'd have enough to stay away and not come back?

PEBCAK

CC

Reply to
CarCrazy666

Jon,

You did say you couldn't get good reliable code because there were problems with the post processor.

YOU also said you used NC-plot to verify g-code because fixing the MC post and getting good reliable G-Code wasn't your priority.

************ [ Some of our posts do need some work. Fixing them is not our shops / the owners / my highest priority right now. ] - Jon Banquer - July 1, 2007 [ You can do more in MasterCAM to verify tool path and with a good post processor generate error free G-Code. Better than anything you can do using NC-Plot to check the resulting G-Code. ]-brewertr [ Neither backplot or verify in MasterCAM check actual G code. NC Plot checks the actual G code. ]-Jon Banquer [ So what your say>"So what your saying is you can't program using MasterCAM or configure

Jon,

Does your company have a licensed seat of MasterCAM?

If so they paid many thousands of dollars to produce unreliable G-Code because they won't spend a couple of dollars fixing a postprocessor? ]-brewertr-

[ "Does your company have a licensed seat of MasterCAM?"

We sure do. V9. Purchased from Charles Davis's San Diego CADCAM.

I'm working on the problem but again it's not our highest priority at the moment. ]-Jon Banquer

Reply to
brewertr

How many pallets did that "half million dollar Matsuura" have?

Reply to
Joe788