Manual Surface Grinder

Who makes the best designed one?

Okamoto?

Mitsui?

If you were buying a used surface grinder what would you get and why?

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA jonbanquer.blogspot.com/

Reply to
jon_banquer

Heres a good grinder that should work for you.

Barn

Reply to
barn_rubble

Harig is a good brand, and it's American made. I've used them off and on for 35 years. The "V" and flat table design keeps them running true for decades. They're everywhere, so parts "should" be plentiful and reasonable.

BottleBob

I kicked the B&S over Okamoto at the lazy B, probly only because the controls were more modern and so capable though, IIRC I could get the cross to reverse 3x for each X table traverse, admittedly this is only a usefull function where your load encompasses the entire magnet.

Visually, produced an uusually nice looking crosshatched pattern though

Reply to
earwax museum

I was born & raised on Boyer Shultz 6-12 hand feed. Made right here in Chi town in its day. I'm a little partial to that old piece of iron, but are no longer made. They should be plentiful, cheap & easy to rebuild. Don't get the belt drive model- it slips under heavy plunge grinding & cutoff, the later ones had direct moter drive. Some had models had power Z up & down, thats sweet. They made alot of accessories for them like ID grinding attachment, built in dust collecter. I've used Brown & Sharp micromasters & are also good old machines. But nowadays the Okomoto's rule. Ball bearing tables for ease of cranking, give the handle a crank & it "flys" to the end of travel. Even their power feed water models are nice. Set it up for taking off a certain amount of cross feed & down feed per pass, walk away & come back & your pcs are finished! It can even auto plunge grind slots. built in diamond dresser. You cant beat it for production use. The hand moldels need to be put on stilts to raise them up about 3-6". they must have been deigned for the smaller Japanese stature people. Mount a opitidress on it with .00005" DROs & you've got the best!

Ok here's one for the book : Abrasive #1-1/2 or #2 with the the 10" wheels. the feed handles are opposite. Talk about crash, man you really have to think when using those old battle axes. those machines you should be able to get practically for free. They do have a purpose for larger work.

HOLDZEM its the best thing since sliced bread ages 5-95

I'm coming up with more things it Holdz every day:

phase 2 : the big neck sports bottles ______ /_____/\ Best Regards, /____ \\ \ Gil Pawl /_____\ \\ / HOLDZEM /_____/ \/ / / /_____/ / \//\ West Chicago, IL \_____\//\ / / USA \_____/ / /\ / \_____/ \\ \ \_____\ \\ \_____\/
download my self running demo: DEMO

milgil

- Snip some good grinder info.

That's a hoot Gil, Good luck with it. Phase 3: imprinted HOLDZEM's for advertising specialty market.

Trust me.

Reply to
PaulS

Well ya thats why I have designed it with a large flat area on the top for pad printing "Your Name Here" Logo, name whatever? It holdz everything! + its free advertising for the customers I sell a million pcs to!

HOLDZEM its the best thing since sliced bread ages 5-95 Its a givaway item that's actually useful!

I'm coming up with more things it Holdz every day:

phase 3: Flashlight companies ______ /_____/\ Best Regards, /____ \\ \ Gil Pawl /_____\ \\ / HOLDZEM /_____/ \/ / / /_____/ / \//\ West Chicago, IL \_____\//\ / / USA \_____/ / /\ / \_____/ \\ \ \_____\ \\ \_____\/
download my self running demo: DEMO

milgil

Village Idiot = CadCam Theorist = Energizer Dummy = PunchingBagBozo at Westec = 3-Card Monte Matchinist?

Such versatility.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Also, who is a quality rebuilder of manual surface grinders that is reasonable and can be trusted?

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA jonbanquer.blogspot.com/

Reply to
jon_banquer

in san diego -no clue in chicago a few

phase 4 : patotoe chip bag clip ______ /_____/\ Best Regards, /____ \\ \ Gil Pawl /_____\ \\ / HOLDZEM /_____/ \/ / / /_____/ / \//\ West Chicago, IL \_____\//\ / / USA \_____/ / /\ / \_____/ \\ \ \_____\ \\ \_____\/
download my self running demo: DEMO

milgil

As long as they can be trusted and do very high quality rebuilding work I'm interested.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA jonbanquer.blogspot.com/

Reply to
jon_banquer

Who makes the best designed one?

Okamoto?

Mitsui?

If you were buying a used surface grinder what would you get, where would you purchase it from and why?

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA jonbanquer.blogspot.com

Reply to
jon_banquer

Heard anyone crash & explode an 7"grinding wheel latetly? Man the ass on the grinder next to me did, Scared thing living F.. out of me. Sounds just like a shot gun. F..ing grit & shit everywhere! man I'll never forget that sound.

Reply to
milgil

Who makes the best designed one?

Okamoto?

Mitsui?

If you were buying a used surface grinder what would you get, where would you purchase it from and why?

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA jonbanquer.blogspot.com

Reply to
jon_banquer

What the hell are you grinding? What tolerances are required? What RMS is needed? How big is the work gonna be? Water? Dust collection? Radius dresser?

Maybe think about an reconidionted Chinese 1/4" air grinder with a 60g flapper wheel. U'll need an air compresser also, better do some research on those. "The flapper wheel is your friend" it makes everything look nizzzzzz sorry I'm getting goofy in my old age. Too many times grinding

50millionths dressing the chucks. FYI thats 1/2 of a 1 tenth of an inch. Don't breath on it with your hot breath you'll change the size.

HOLDZEM its the best thing since sliced bread ages 5-95 I'm coming up with more things it Holdz every day:

phase 6: the automotive tool industry ______ /_____/\ Best Regards, /____ \\ \ Gil Pawl /_____\ \\ / HOLDZEM /_____/ \/ / / /_____/ / \//\ West Chicago, IL \_____\//\ / / USA \_____/ / /\ / \_____/ \\ \ \_____\ \\ \_____\/
download my self running demo: DEMO

milgil

Jon, Came across this on ebay and thought it might work for you:

http:

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

Steve,

I need a manual surface grinder with as small a footprint as possible. I'm surprised no one has posted anything about Mitsui.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA jonbanquer.blogspot.com/

Reply to
jon_banquer

Freekin bastdard Mistsui! The down feed rotates opposite Okamoto. At least the older ones did. Hello mr welder: I need minimum build up & no sink - ya shure. Better do some reasearch on welders now pal.

HOLDZEM=A9=AE its the best thing since sliced bread ages 5-95 Its a givaway item that's actually useful! I'm coming up with more things it Holdz every day:

3: Flashlight companies ______ /_____/\ Best Regards, /____ \\ \ Gil Pawl /_____\ \\ / HOLDZEM /_____/ \/ / / /_____/ / \//\ West Chicago, IL \_____\//\ / / USA \_____/ / /\ / \_____/ \\ \ \_____\ \\ \_____\/
download my self running demo: DEMO

milgil

Are you going to put that in the back of your Saab? or the new Blazer?

Reply to
Half-Nutz

Are you going to put that in the back of your Saab? or the new Blazer? ===========================================

You mean, the new 1991 Blazer, with the salvaged dashboard?

Ahm thinkin mebbe jb is looking to put this grinding shit in a van, and drive around town sharpening kitchen knives and scissors'n'shit... and mebbe switchblades, in Chula Vista....

I guess pushing that hot dog cart up/down those hills was too much....

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®