Manual Surface Grinder

Who makes the best designed one?
Okamoto?
Mitsui?
If you were buying a used surface grinder what would you get and why?
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA jonbanquer.blogspot.com/

Heres a good grinder that should work for you.
http://alturl.com/gge
Barn

Village Idiot = CadCam Theorist = Energizer Dummy = PunchingBagBozo at Westec = 3-Card Monte Matchinist?
Such versatility.
--

Mr. PV'd

jon_banquer wrote:

    Harig is a good brand, and it's American made. I've used them off and on for 35 years. The "V" and flat table design keeps them running true for decades. They're everywhere, so parts "should" be plentiful and reasonable.
http://www.harigproducts.com/Other/2008%20Handfeed%20Flyer.pdf
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

I kicked the B&S over Okamoto at the lazy B, probly only because the controls were more modern and so capable though, IIRC I could get the cross to reverse 3x for each X table traverse, admittedly this is only a usefull function where your load encompasses the entire magnet.
Visually, produced an uusually nice looking crosshatched pattern though

I was born & raised on Boyer Shultz 6-12 hand feed. Made right here in Chi town in its day. I'm a little partial to that old piece of iron, but are no longer made. They should be plentiful, cheap & easy to rebuild. Don't get the belt drive model- it slips under heavy plunge grinding & cutoff, the later ones had direct moter drive. Some had models had power Z up & down, thats sweet. They made alot of accessories for them like ID grinding attachment, built in dust collecter. I've used Brown & Sharp micromasters & are also good old machines. But nowadays the Okomoto's rule. Ball bearing tables for ease of cranking, give the handle a crank & it "flys" to the end of travel. Even their power feed water models are nice. Set it up for taking off a certain amount of cross feed & down feed per pass, walk away & come back & your pcs are finished! It can even auto plunge grind slots. built in diamond dresser. You cant beat it for production use. The hand moldels need to be put on stilts to raise them up about 3-6". they must have been deigned for the smaller Japanese stature people. Mount a opitidress on it with .00005" DROs & you've got the best!
Ok here's one for the book : Abrasive #1-1/2 or #2 with the the 10" wheels. the feed handles are opposite. Talk about crash, man you really have to think when using those old battle axes. those machines you should be able to get practically for free. They do have a purpose for larger work.
HOLDZEM its the best thing since sliced bread ages 5-95
I'm coming up with more things it Holdz every day:
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/DHoldzem_Fiji-1.JPG
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/Holdzem_MGD.JPG
phase 2 : the big neck sports bottles ______ /_____/\ Best Regards, /____ \\ \ Gil Pawl /_____\ \\ / HOLDZEM /_____/ \/ / / /_____/ / \//\ West Chicago, IL \_____\//\ / / USA \_____/ / /\ / \_____/ \\ \ \_____\ \\ \_____\/
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/pic6.jpg
download my self running demo: DEMO http://users.cin.net/~milgil/Holdzem1.exe http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX :...
On Mar 21, 5:21am, snipped-for-privacy@cin.net wrote:

- Snip some good grinder info.

That's a hoot Gil, Good luck with it. Phase 3: imprinted HOLDZEM's for advertising specialty market.
Trust me.
--
PaulS

Well ya thats why I have designed it with a large flat area on the top for pad printing "Your Name Here" Logo, name whatever? It holdz everything! + its free advertising for the customers I sell a million pcs to!
HOLDZEM its the best thing since sliced bread ages 5-95 Its a givaway item that's actually useful!
I'm coming up with more things it Holdz every day:
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/MVC-789F.JPG
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/MVC-778F.JPG
phase 3: Flashlight companies ______ /_____/\ Best Regards, /____ \\ \ Gil Pawl /_____\ \\ / HOLDZEM /_____/ \/ / / /_____/ / \//\ West Chicago, IL \_____\//\ / / USA \_____/ / /\ / \_____/ \\ \ \_____\ \\ \_____\/
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/pic6.jpg
download my self running demo: DEMO http://users.cin.net/~milgil/Holdzem1.exe http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX :..
Also, who is a quality rebuilder of manual surface grinders that is reasonable and can be trusted?
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA jonbanquer.blogspot.com/

in san diego -no clue in chicago a few
HOLDZEM its the best thing since sliced bread ages 5-95
I'm coming up with more things it Holdz every day:
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/SSPX0092.jpg
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/SSPX0091.jpg
phase 4 : patotoe chip bag clip ______ /_____/\ Best Regards, /____ \\ \ Gil Pawl /_____\ \\ / HOLDZEM /_____/ \/ / / /_____/ / \//\ West Chicago, IL \_____\//\ / / USA \_____/ / /\ / \_____/ \\ \ \_____\ \\ \_____\/
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/pic6.jpg
download my self running demo: DEMO http://users.cin.net/~milgil/Holdzem1.exe http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX :. MVC-778F.JPG
On Mar 21, 7:43am, snipped-for-privacy@cin.net wrote:

As long as they can be trusted and do very high quality rebuilding work I'm interested.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA jonbanquer.blogspot.com/
Who makes the best designed one?
Okamoto?
Mitsui?
If you were buying a used surface grinder what would you get, where would you purchase it from and why?
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA jonbanquer.blogspot.com

Heard anyone crash & explode an 7"grinding wheel latetly? Man the ass on the grinder next to me did, Scared thing living F.. out of me. Sounds just like a shot gun. F..ing grit & shit everywhere! man I'll never forget that sound.
Who makes the best designed one?
Okamoto?
Mitsui?
If you were buying a used surface grinder what would you get, where would you purchase it from and why?
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA jonbanquer.blogspot.com

What the hell are you grinding? What tolerances are required? What RMS is needed? How big is the work gonna be? Water? Dust collection? Radius dresser?
Maybe think about an reconidionted Chinese 1/4" air grinder with a 60g flapper wheel.<g> U'll need an air compresser also, better do some research on those. "The flapper wheel is your friend" it makes everything look nizzzzzz sorry I'm getting goofy in my old age. Too many times grinding 50millionths dressing the chucks. FYI thats 1/2 of a 1 tenth of an inch. Don't breath on it with your hot breath you'll change the size.
HOLDZEM its the best thing since sliced bread ages 5-95 I'm coming up with more things it Holdz every day:
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/Tools_mess.JPG
http://users.cin.net/~milgil/Tools_organized.JPG
phase 6: the automotive tool industry ______ /_____/\ Best Regards, /____ \\ \ Gil Pawl /_____\ \\ / HOLDZEM /_____/ \/ / / /_____/ / \//\ West Chicago, IL \_____\//\ / / USA \_____/ / /\ / \_____/ \\ \ \_____\ \\ \_____\/
[...]
jon_banquer wrote:

How high is up? -- jeff
jon_banquer wrote:

Jon, Came across this on ebay and thought it might work for you:
http:http://tinyurl.com/ddc6hp
Best, Steve
--

Regards,