Milltronics VM25, or What?

Ok, I recieved replies from 3 people who think Milltronics Suck! No replies pro.What is the machine of choice these days (medium priced linear way 40X20 or50X25 ) My last purchace was (2) VM-1 Hurcos' 1-1/2 years ago. Good Iron & drives but control has some features(or lack there of) that bug me. My other VMC is a Fadal 15XT. I have used, in the past, Mazak,Anilam,Comet,Dyna & Lagun.. What about Haas? ( I was staying away from them because I heard the owner was arrested for not paying his taxes) Thanks, Mike...MP Mfg & Design (Florida)

Reply to
Mike

See the 9/25 post by Von "Another on topic post..... new VMC". Fadal seems to be the winner.

Altho a lot of people here have Haas. The consensus about Haas seems to be they're OK iffin you don't plan on using them for too long or too hard. And if you've purchased all the individually-sold g-codes, ferchrissakes.

I think they have a special going on now, g0,g1,g2, AND g3 for $495.

*Including i,j, AND k!* . wow....

I have a Fadal, which I like, altho without many reference points.

Milltronics has always been dogged here. Altho others have spoken favorably about Sharpes, Mighty, but not a lot of detail.

What don't you like about the Hurco control? What size machine, and how much? My buddy has 4 Hurco KMB-1s, and one with a 10-tool carousel, sorta rare in that vintage hurco. Purely conversational, altho supposedly there is a way to get a g-code program in there. I understand the new hurco's are both g-code and conversational. Have you exploited that feature?

Reply to
DrollTroll

Mike you might want to also consider a Sharp :

IIRC there's at least 2 individuals here who are quite happy with them--with any luck they might see this and give you some more input.

Reply to
Bipolar Bear

Ol' Gene's tax evasion plan was quite a bit more complex than just not paying his taxes. He had a few of his lackeys create fake businesses, who then sold Haas Automation $50 million worth of non-existing, fake equipment, of which 98% of it was "refunded" directly back into Gene's personal bank accounts, and 2% was kept by his lackeys for their part in the felony. The write offs on the fake equipment resulted in Haas Automation bilking Uncle Sam out of $20,000,000 in tax dollars. Both Gene, and Haas Automation have made full restitution with the IRS, and Gene's prison term is about half done.

I wouldn't let all of that nonsense stop you from considering the Haas machine though. Depending on what you're doing, Haas could be a great choice.

If I I were looking for a "budget" type 40x20, I'd be going straight for the YCI XV1020. I've got a buddy who makes very high precision medical parts, and he's got three XV1020s. He can't say enough good things about them.

Reply to
Joe788

I wonder if Gene is allowed to work in the prison machine shop. :) He could fill the prison system with Haas's!

rbraun, in his 9/27 Cat40 tools sticking, has a YCI, and it seems like they treated him good, re his problem.

Reply to
DrollTroll

Mike, I've had a Sharp 2412 for five years with no problems. Mine has the Fanuc Oi control. The other fellow that bipolar refered to doesn't check here very often, but I talk to him on Anthony's irc chat thing. His is equipped with a Fanuc 18i and an arm type tool changer. He's also had zero problems.

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

The Milltronics control I used when I lived in Phoenix, Arizona was PC based and it frequently locked up. On the plus side it was very friendly. It was older Milltronics control on a Tree knee mill with a rigid ram. We put it next to the Mori-Seki and used it for secondary ops and squaring blocks. I liked using the machine / control.

Maybe the new Milltronics controls are better?

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer