Press One For English

Ed Huntress wrote:

My favorite accent is still the Mexican Yiddish some of my friends speak.
David
David R.Birch wrote: (...)

Oy Caramba!
--Winston
--

I'm still waiting for another sublime, transcendent flash of adequacy.

Mother to Father "See if you can find Jesus"
Father "Honey you know we are Jews and don't believe in Jesus"
Mother "Dinner is almost ready, go find your SON Jesus, tell him to come in and wash up"
Jim Wilkins wrote:

I once worked with a Japanese guy who'd learned to speak English in Texas.
Mido o say wa nee na-arimasu y'all!
KG

I work in lots of asian shops in So. Cal. Ever hear Stairway to Heaven in Cambodian?
Fascinating
Gunner
"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Gunner Asch wrote:

Is that anything like "Hey Jude" in Vietnamese?

Pretty much. <G>
You numba one, Giiiiiii!
"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
in rec.crafts.metalworking :

    I've heard an Aussie take off, done by someone who didn't have the lyrics, so just made it up.     But in Cambodian ... that could be fun.
    (I've got a bunch of German Pop recordings. Nothing like good old Country and Western - Auf Deutsche.
pyotr -- pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

My Spanish teacher in high school was of Japanese ancestry. Did a great job with Spanish.
On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 22:55:21 -0800, "Calif Bill"

Did you ever try to learn French from a real foxy girl, four years your senior who spoke with a broad Scottish accent? Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Nope. Sounds better than a lot of my Spanish education. Working in a lumber mill during high school and most of the workers were Mexican Braceros. Did learn a few bad words also.

No, but I learned a lot from a French girl in Heidelberg (I had 3 years of it in high school).
Later I rode around Canada with biker friends. In Quebec, accompanied by the obvious Americans, I tried my French on a waitress, who gave me a very strange look and disappeared. The one who replaced her spoke Parisian French, luckily for me not at full speed.
After that I was the designated talker when we went into a store, until we hit New Brunswick, where the first clerk rudely told me she DID NOT speak French. She was very apologetic and friendly when she realized we were leather-clad US bikers.
Jacques Wilkins
Kirk Gordon wrote:

At a SEM trade show about 23 years ago, one of our competitors introduced me to one of their sales (or support) guys. This character was of Asian extraction and spoke with the most beautiful Texas drawl.
I think I kept a satisfactorily neutral expression during the introduction but I still thought it was kind of neat. He might have worked for Nanometrics or Hitachi or some such.
--Winston
--

Welds made for grinding.
Faces made for USENET.

Lots of Japanese live in Peru. Former crooked president went back to Japan. And they all speak Spanish.
When supporting France (et. al. ) for a large company from the west coast, I constantly conversed with a French Apps Manager. He and I ran together while in Europe and worked and learned when on the west coast. He was teaching me French and I was teaching him Texan at his request. The relaxed mode and care always made the customers at ease. From high tech to the almost tech types.
Martin