question, what's the smallest sized tool u cnc milled with ?

I am curious, wondering about tool breakage, as a small mistake is probabally fatal for the tool, is breakage almost imevitiable ?

It's all relative. I use .010's all the time.....in graphite. Sometimes I use ,005's when engraving in graphite. Obviously less forgiving than steel. Seems with steel you need a good machine and good tir holders for tiny cutters. The roku we got was cutting hardened steel with an .008 ball mill, all day no problems. Not gonna happen in our haas, it bangs too much when changing direction.

thank you, I've been using 1/32 and moved down to 1/64 to improve detail with some breakage initially, and thinking about going smaller but concerned about the fragility of the tools. As always, still learning.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

RM:
    We occasionally use end mills down to .005, got to be careful what you use to set tool length offsets. A small dowel pin (1/16 - 1/8) has worked well for me. If you're going to use them all the time you might think about a spindle speeder.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

You mean touching off tools? If you do I suggest graphite. You can easily touch off a .005 end mill with no fear of breaking.

I don't have a problem with the tool plunging into the part, it's adjusting the feed speed once things get going- starts good, then, *bink*, I hand set all offsets with a jo-block and use a high-speed pulley set in a belt-drive spindle- switching back and forth is just part of the job. I am sticking with 2 flute end-mills to maximize chip evacuation

I don't have a problem with the tool plunging into the part, it's adjusting the feed speed once things get going- starts good, then, *bink*, I hand set all offsets with a jo-block and use a high-speed pulley set in a belt-drive spindle- switching back and forth is just part of the job. I am sticking with 2 flute end-mills to maximize chip evacuation
I just used these 3 flutes from harvey tool. I'll tell ya, im a believer. Those 3 flute endmills were the strongest mills I ever seen. Worked great on aluminum and steel. ,062.

I'll look into those, thank you
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

RM:
    Well the speed for tiny end mills is easy, usually the fastest the machine can go, eh?     I also tend to use 4 flute end mills, if available, since they are stronger than 2 fluters. But as Vinny suggests, 3 flute end mills are a good compromise though.     I use a chip load roughly the same percentage of tool dia. that I'd use with a larger end mill. Say you're using chip load of .005 per flute on a .500 end mill - thats 1% of the tool diameter. So 1% of the diameter of a 1/32" end mill will be (.03125 X .01) or .0003 chip load per flute.     Feed = RPM X Chip Load per flute X number of flutes - or 10,000 RPM X .0003 X 4 flutes = 12 IPM.     And try to remove as much material as possible with the roughing end mill(s). You don't really want your 1/64" end mill cutting full width in the corners if you can avoid it. You can always pick away at just the corners with very light DOC's, leaving a thou to clean up on the final perimeter pass.     Dept of cut is also done on a percentage basis. If you're running your .500 end mill at .125 DOC for say a Kovar part, then that's 1/4 the dia. So for a 1/64" end mill that would be the equivalent of .0156/4 or about .004 DOC.     Your specific numbers may vary, but the procedures should be relatively sound.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

I don't have a rpm counter on my machine, so I can't calculate chip load; it's all eyes ears and past experience. It's ironic though that my 1/64th will become a "roughing" tool when I'll employ a 0.005" endmill, then if I go even smaller than that....
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I often grind hex shaped cutters from solid carbide when I need small tools. Helps A LOT when the length to diameter ratio goes over 5:1.
--
Black Dragon

The struggling for knowledge has a pleasure in it
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

RM:
    Are the X, Y, & Z axes CNC controlled?
    They make non-contact tachometers:
http://tinyurl.com/64kj5t
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

yep, all cnc, I just haven't hooked up an rpm counter mostly because I felf it would get in the way of the eyes and ears part. I'm not mass producing or anything; just me and my machine- I should be able to judge what is a good feed/speed combo is or just go back to judging bikini bottoms in the south of france I guess
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

RM:
    Eyes & ears are fine for 1/4" end mills on up, but in the smaller sizes down to .005"... well you'd have to have some awfully good senses. Just a few IPM is the difference between being productive or trashing a gross of end mills. LOL
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
Drilling - 30 microns (.0011") Milling - 50 microns (.0019")
gary
On Nov 12, 12:27am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Oh, Peck tapped with a 0.35M as well.
gary