Self-Centering Vise Stop

Clay:

I think I see what you're talking about now. You want to locate your existing bored jaws, I thought you wanted rebore the jaws.

Reply to
BottleBob

BottleBob wrote in news:3Z6dnWvBmeWxTIbVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Wow. I can't even think of a snappy line here. LOL.

I almost brought home an Emco Maier training lathe once. One of those little CNC deals that the hobby guys are wild about. A customer told me that if I wanted it I could take it. Had I known about your closet I could have UPS'd it out to you. All you'd need is a table top surface grinder and you'd be stylin'...

Reply to
D Murphy

Dan:

I have an Emco Maier Compact 5 lathe like the following. It's not CNC though.

BottleBob

BottleBob wrote in news:UoydnUewkNuDcobVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Ok. Now I'm getting concerned. LOL.

The CNC was about the same size. It was even mounted in an enclosure, kind of like a big bread box.

Reply to
D Murphy

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I'm sure some day Bob will come out of the c.... Can't do it. LOL Sounds like some fun after your doen with the time clock.

Reply to
Half-nutz

Jon:

Good thing I don't fly much. Just kidding. That was a pretty neat personal anecdote.

"Sherlines Forever" LOL

Reply to
BottleBob

My dad came upon an opportunity some 10 years ago to CNC machine some small parts for a local company. Dad's no machinist but a hell of a technical guy. I converted a Sherline mill to CNC running the AHHA software and devised an approach to fixturing that worked very well. Though he still can barely copy a file from a floppy to a HDD (he's nearly 80 now and just will never be comfortable with computers), he did pick up the process and ended up with the lowest reject rate of any of the shops supplying this company. He was going up against shops with the real stuff and held his own. A comparator and toolmaker's microscope verified we were holding parts to +/-.001 or better. Dad was knocking down upwards of $60k/year right up until the company was bought out and machining was brought in house.

Parts made on that Sherline are flying in Boeing aircraft, used in Bradley fighting vehicles, and many other critical applications.

is a link to the company and the pictured elements are what he machined. Very possible all the parts pictured were machined by him.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Info for next time,

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Jon,

You are right quoting you makes you look like a fool......because you are.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

No Jon it's called a forgery something you and your wife share in common.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

"over a barrel" wrote in news:3IWdnYSTZbr0aYLVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com:

Weiler makes nice stuff. AFAIK they still make a fairly high end tool room lathe.

Reply to
D Murphy

Apparently making some small / medium cnc chuckers these days too :

The bearings on this thing are a bit noisey but not excessivly and the main drive belt was broken so..I replaced a belt and did a PM / tuneup ( minus bearings )--oddball bearing sizes I might have to write phone them, the headstock appears to present one double row angular contact at the drive end @50 bore 20 x 80 OD and then a pair of the same at the business end but @55 x 21 x 85 sadly I can't seem to even source anything in these sizes.

Reply to
over a barrel

"over a barrel" wrote in news:AuadnfWS2a6ru7zVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com:

They have "body language", sounds spendy.

Sound even spendier.

Reply to
D Murphy

If I cant fine them then Ill bore the headstock out X 5mm else breakdown and machine a more robust one from solid.

I which case might well mass produce several thousand along with spindle proper before my retirement...

-------

Funny thing...for so many years I was looking for work...."things to make", you know the drill--buying tools tooling scraping up some work make damned the bills...

Dan I live a fairly simple life mostly drive a beat up '86 blazer, ( the commute is a killer ) love to make soup and cook in general hopefully will be growing a bigger garden this year I bake bread make my own beer and even started growing the hops again this year and so forth...

Hard to explain, in a nutshell not lacking here for "things to make" car parts gun parts parts for model hobby folk job shop whatever make a new tractor pin for a six pak I guess its gotta make a lil bit of money without stiffing somebody else, and has to be fun or at least low stress..

Reply to
over a barrel

"over a barrel" wrote in news:X_qdnSrZTJWPorzVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com:

I did some quick checking and found the same thing. Or the right OD and ID but 16mm thick. Might be easier to make a spacer?

Sounds ideal to me at this point. I'm hoping to get to slow down soon but it doesn't look likely to happen.

Reply to
D Murphy

----- Original Message ----- From: "D Murphy" Newsgroups: alt.machines.cnc Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 4:27 PM Subject: Re: Self-Centering Vise Stop

Looks like press a ring into the headstock bore to reduce dia by 5mm and use duplex set of 2mm7911 ( 7010 ) and fab a new spacer to suit.

And at the drive end screw it Ill just toss in a 6010 standard radial bearing and as before, fab anew linear spacer ...

Well, I never got around to fixing the tractor today....

And thanks for the input on that swiss machine its much appreciated.

Reply to
over a barrel

"over a barrel" wrote in news:78ednRSh0__VcL7VnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com:

Sounds like a plan.

You better get going, nice weather is coming and you'll be wanting something for the commute to work.

No sweat. Let me know if you need any help with it.

Reply to
D Murphy

Well its officially mine will pick it up later this week went and surveyed the situation this afternoon, live tools available all 10 station ( no live holders included 2 straight holders is all ) 1 deg indexing, no bush or bush holder and when the machine boots the x runs away to end of stroke then puts out an err code--known history is someone rebuilt both motors, end cap on x motor is loose so I say look at ref sig at amp doublecheck resolver and tach connections go from there.

Reply to
over a barrel

"over a barrel" wrote in news:oJqdnW6TMboFjrTVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com:

Cool. So I take it that the MB is OK?

Once you get the servo sorted out the old "P" "CAN" trick will get rid of the grid shift and allow you to zero return the X-axis.

IIRC, zero in "X" puts the cut off tool at X-0.08" or maybe it's X-

0.060". It's been a long time. Anyway you need to set up the coordinate system with a G50. I doubt that it has geometry offsets so for milling tools and tools that stick out beyond standard tool point you use G50 with a "U" or "W" to shift the coordinate system incrementally. It also uses mirror image for the two turrets. G68 tuns it on G69 turns it off. You always program the rear turret as though it is the front as far as circular interpolation and TNRC.

Well get it running first and I'll be happy to get you oriented on the prograamming.

You can pick up used live tools and driven bushings here -

Ask for Steve and tell him you're a friend and I said no prison love.

Or keep an eye on Ebay. I see stuff for them on there from time to time. Either way you'll end up paying more for the missing stuff than the machine given the good deal and all.

Reply to
D Murphy

Inconclusive but I have serious doubts--picking it up tomorrow, and have a forklift coming to unload on thursady.

Thanks again.

Reply to
over a barrel