UG vs Mastercam

On 2/21/2010 3:29 AM, cncmillgil wrote:

Exactly but my friends in Europe have a real driver training school to get their licenses. Like my analogy, take your average button pusher give them Cimitron, MC, NX, or ... and the results are purely dependent on the default outputs that day.
Btw, the newbie driver on the Autobahn will be needing the xanax if not prepared! <g>
-- Bill
Add pictures here
โœ–

Bill, you get assemblies with Solidworks. I import full assemblies on virtually every job. It puts each component on a different level, in the order that you added them to the assembly in Solidworks. I'm definitely not doing any "assembling" inside of Mastercam though!
How much is the maintenance and a nice machine-specific 5 axis post for NX?
Add pictures here
โœ–
On 2/20/2010 1:15 PM, Joe788 wrote:

When I open NX, my customers solid lives separately in a ready only folder that is viewed in as a component. If a new model rev comes in, I do a quick compare then point my part file to the new model. There is no repositioning the part since it stays in the customers defined attitude. You pay dearly if you accidentally machine a part to an old rev. <g> File size is much smaller too. I just finished a 20' long support rib. My counterpart at the clients did a similar part in NX where he brought everything in as solids (he didn't know how to use assemblies). His part file was 75 megs, mine was 24.

Not quite apples to oranges with NX as they include machine simulation (Vericutish' looking models). They do include a bunch of posts only that come with all the cam packages. In the 5ax packages, they provide several complete post and machine simulations for running inside of NX. Fanuc, Heidenhain, and Sinumerik controls are provided for them. I think to buy a custom machine specific post with simulation it's about $8k. If you buy a new machine, that would be the time to do it. If your just using little Haas and Fadals maybe not worth it. You can get the post only built for much less I'm sure since it's just modifying existing stuff.
Once you get the hang of simple Tcl language, they are pretty easy to modify yourself using the included Postbuilder app. It's also pretty easy to convert the existing machine sims to fit your needs if you know how to model. The machine sims are just assembly models with kinematics defined.
-- Bill
Add pictures here
โœ–

This is where software companies are lacking- profiting- gouging?. Post's should be FREE if you buy the software. Is that a good selling point? Buy me & get this free? Their just doing like you BillT says, modifying a "standard". It aint a big deal. Ya there may be some (limit it to say 3) go arounds for specific customer needs, but now they have that one to lure & push on the next client?
Oh well, what do I know, I'm not in sales & marketing.
-- \|||/ (o o) ______.oOO-(_)-OOo.____________________ ~ Gil ~ the self proclaimed IT13ฉฎ king
Add pictures here
โœ–
cncmillgil wrote:

When I started at current job they didn't have a Mastercam post for a Sharnoa Tiger 5. It cost $900 dollars to get one, they initially quoted $1200. Then after finding out the hard way that arcs in the XZ and YZ planes can only be programmed using polar coordinates, our VAR wanted to charge another $900 for a post written to output code in polar coordinates. I wish I was privy to the phone conversation my boss made to them after he found that out as we did get that post free of charge. <g>
Which begs a question I never asked here.
Are any CAM systems capable of switching between absolute and polar positioning in the same posted program?
--
Black Dragon

Ever wonder if taxation without representation might have been cheaper?
โœ–

Back in the "day" Mscam & Cimatron came with a standard library of posts. Scam had photo copied doc.s on how to modify it that I got from our new VAR when he got all of the old "quicksilver" customers combining into the "new" mastercam. WTF? is this. Oh ya were going to do a total re-write from the ground up. It will be true 3D & very powerfull! That was 90ish -ver4.1, still waiting...................... Cimatron came with an editor GPP program ($option$) to compile post's it when done. I never learned it. I just worked / negotiated it out with their post "guru" & he modified it for me. Wonder what ever happened to Ogen Goldstein? Smart guy. Anyway I had a "white elephant" Mistubishi V55 tool change sequence problem. If multiple tools were used, it had to leave the spindle empty at the end of the program with T99 listed- if not the MF'er would grab the wrong tool next time around & also every toolchange had to be preceded with the next tool prep. Sweet machine for doing moldbase work. 30hp. gear head 50taper. I turtle by today's standards, but you actually had time to hit the E-Stop<g>
-- \|||/ (o o) ______.oOO-(_)-OOo.____________________ ~ Gil ~ the self proclaimed IT13ฉฎ king
Add pictures here
โœ–
On 2/21/2010 5:01 AM, Black Dragon wrote:

In NX if I needed to switch to polar (or any other oddity) for certain operations I create a User Defined Event - meaning a special word that when my post sees it, do the magic till another word tells it not to. In the post I create an Event Handler that just like its name... handles it. Not a big problem. I would think most posts have this type of functionality?
-- Bill
Add pictures here
โœ–
BillT wrote:

I was told by the local VAR Mastercam can not do it.
--
Black Dragon

Go ahead, make my day.
โœ–

*******
The mastercam post can do that stuff, but instead of a switch, you use if then logic. If mastercam can post in polar, than it's post can be setup to switch back and forth at will.
Add pictures here
โœ–
vinny wrote:

Apparently the local Mastercam VAR and CNC Software don't know what they're talking about then.
::shrug::
--
Black Dragon

STATISTICS:
โœ–

Oh man your reaching for the stars! How would that be selectable or determinable whilst programming? Maybe a toggle within each toolpath?
2 posts - no problem

ah taxation w/o rep. is happening right now. It aint cheaper for us common folk. but may not be the case with the special interest groups they do represent?
-- ~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~~o~~ Some people make things happen.... Some watch things happen... While others complain it can’t happen ~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~~o~~ ~g~
Add pictures here
โœ–
On 2/21/2010 3:39 AM, cncmillgil wrote:

I would say they give you a bunch of posts to start with. Most will work. But the rub is some folks have some real anal habits when it comes to how the posted code should look. And they will give you a hundred reasons why it has to be that way. I have a post for a dead simple 3ax Haas I did ten years ago that outputs subroutines for any Z-level milling purely because that shop had Gibbs that output that way had nothing to do with memory limits. Some want the Dx on the initial Z rapid line, others like it at the G41/42. Some want a variable and not literals for things like toolnos, feeds, and speeds - just in case...
Then things get a lot deeper when outputting the shop docs with the post. NX does it quite well as does Mastercam. Currently, the new trend is to output HTML docs but only a couple folks will accept them. NX will output a complete shop book with snapshots of the part after each tool has cut on a separate page with the tool descriptions and operator messages captured. No one accepts that yet. They like Excel, so I'm writing a macro to output to Excel to keep Microsoft in business. <g>
-- Bill
Add pictures here
โœ–

*** we have a mill that cuts moldbases. fanuc control. It calls up the next tool right after the line it does the current tool change on. Maybe it's pre positioning it in the carousel? But in order to start in the program you mdi the tool you want first, then run the program. Adding a tool call up right before the m6 line would solve it. Quick fix. !!!!! But don't change it, that's the way it was setup when installed, there's prolly a reason? !!! (shakes head...looks at feet...walks away)
Add pictures here
โœ–

It's pre staging the next tool Vinny.
Add pictures here
โœ–

..
yep its "tool prep" g-code code has only T# on one line - the machine tool loads that tool. next code line is M6 T# (prep's/ stages next tool)
--
~g~

Add pictures here
โœ–

yep its "tool prep" g-code code has only T# on one line - the machine tool loads that tool. next code line is M6 T# (prep's/ stages next tool)
***** Put the tool code in both places in the post. That was my stupid suggestion.
~g~
Add pictures here
โœ–

Vinny, we call it like this to minimize potential disasters:
T25M06 T13 BLAH BLAH BLAH T13M06 T77 BLAH BLAH BLAH T77M06 T64
Some machines with poorly written toolchange macros will alarm if you have call "T13M06" after you've already staged T13.
Add pictures here
โœ–
On 2/20/2010 1:15 PM, Joe788 wrote:
Here's a blurb about the simulation tools:
http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/nx/machining/machining/machining_simulation.shtml
I think that is where most cam packages are going hence my lengthy avoidance of pricing just a post. <g>
-- Bill
Add pictures here
โœ–