Way OT: NO, NONE, ZILCH, NADA CNC or metal content

So me and two other guys enter a build your own boat contest. Aug. 26. All cardboard, duct tape, liquid nail construction. No Sona tubes or plastic allowed. Paint and varnish ok. We figured on a 36 inch wide skiff, 9 feet long. (we got a 4 layer cardboard shipping container from our Mazak box at work. We've built 2 10 x 10 x 12 triangular floats (pontoons), 9 feet long to put underneath, as far outboard as possible. Paddles allowed, no motors. Anyone got any slick or better ideas. Ease of construction is a must. ( I already called, and a big nitrogen bottle for thrust is not allowed )

Reply to
Steve Walker

Sounds like a lot of fun....er wear your life-vest.

Best

Daveb

Reply to
Anonymous

How about a paddle wheel :-)Duct tape or fibre reinforced around the outside edges for bracing, not sure how you would drive it though :-)

Reply to
James P Crombie

Steve Walker wrote in news:l2bCg.70259$Lh4.49757 @trnddc02:

Lots O Fun.

Check out these links for ideas:

The Best Buy Geek Squad Bug was cool. It had a couple of car batteries and a LOUD thumpin car stereo system in it.

Check out the Shanghai. Insane amount of effort.

Ditto "Noah's Ark"

Reply to
D Murphy

For a guaranteed win, I think you should build a one-man submarine! :-)

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

I went to a wedding reception once where the bride and groom had organized an afternoon's worth of competition. The final event was a cardboard boat race. Each team got two 4x8 sheets of corrugated cardboard, two rolls of duct tape, and a razor knife.

I organized my team into building a flat boxy raft, with internal bracing. Its primary purpose was to float. It worked fine, and held two people throughout the race. Most of the other boats took on water during the different heats.

The problem with our boat was that it was just a raft. It was hard to paddle, because the crew was sitting up on top of it. It had no keel, so it didn't keep going straight. And it had lots of wetted area, so it was hard to keep moving. All these things were obvious in hindsight.

The winning boat just happened to have a naval architect on the team. Their boat was not terribly complex, but it had a prow, a displacement hull (double thickness), and a transom. The prow let the boat cut through the water, and the displacement hull let the crew sit down close to the water and really use their paddles.

We finished second, but at least we gave them a race. The other boats all sank or abandoned. And the bride and groom are still happily married.

Dave

dlwilson