Controlling a rake classifier

Hi all, The next project I am supposed to be working on is trialling a new rake classifier. Until now I was only aware of screw classifiers used in waste
water treatment plants. A 'Google' search yielded some information from Dorr Oliver's pages about rake classifiers used in mineral processing industry.
The question is 'Where do I start?' What are the parameters that need to be monitored for controlling the rake classifier? What pitfalls should be avoided?
If there are any mineral processing gurus amongst this newsgroup members, what external parameters can influence the rake classifier operation (I have seen some information about rake classifiers being used in Primary as well as Secondary milling and grinding circuits). Any leads and pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks and regards, Raj Sreenevasan
I am familiar with the Dorr-Oliver equipment, but in waste water clarifiers. Mainly your are interested in sludge depth and motor torque.
Motor torque, Kw or Amps for crude measurement, funny things can happen to the rakes and the last thing you need is to spend $50k on a gear train rebuild. Dorr-Oliver has a built in mechanical torque limiter. kW makes a great backup.
Sludge depth: too much=hard to move rake; too little liquid like running out the discharge
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:21:44 GMT, "Raj Sreenevasan"