EtherNet-IP protocol

Hi all,
EtherNet IP (Industrial Protocol) is quite new to us and here is our problem. We have to read some process values from EtherNet/IP enabled
piece of equipment. Our master is a Linux box running proprietary software and also talking to some devices via CanOpen and TCP/IP. We developed our own CAN drivers for them without implementing the whole protocol stack (hacked) and would like to do the same for Ethernet IP. Would anybody know how to compose datagrams in a simple implementation for reading a primary variable or assembly#1 off the EtherNet IP enabled device? What steps would be required to accomplish the above task, like setting comms, switching device to RUN mode, getting system status and health reports, etc.? After reading the ODVA protocol manual I still don't know what to put inside the data area of the IP frame. Any help is appreciated.
ptx wrote:

Search for Ron Gage CELL. You will find a Ethernet/IP library for Linux.
Peter Nachtwey
Thanks, Peter for your info.