Ethernet Transmitters - worthwhile product?

We are looking into the marketability of Ethernet transmitters. Would they be useful or intimidating and avoided?

I believe there would be projects where temperature, humidity, pressure and other transmitters may need to be installed in an industrial or commercial building that has Ethernet nearby, but no easy or inexpensive way to connect to it via a 4-20 ma cable. With wireless networking products everywhere for a good price, the connection to an Ethernet hub would even be easier and require very little labor.

If Ethernet was available on a transmitter for an additional $100 and it was wide open accessibility, would it be in demand?

Thanks, Bob Oberhauser

Reply to
robert oberhauser

To answer this question, you have to consider who will be responsible for looking after it. I, myself, can't see the buildings IT Department/Manager/Whoever wanting non-PC non-$producing Ethernet devices on his/her network.

If there is Ethernet cabling nearby (Cat5/6) you could still use 4-20mA (or RS422 for that matter) over it to get the data back to where you need it - certainly within the usual 100m limit and spend the $100 on something else.

I guess the answer is: Maybe - but not over an existing network.

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

Sure there a market, as all of my customers are moving to ethernet, but, mostly fiber for a variety of reason. Consider spinning the product with fiber base 10 Meg ethernet, and you'll have a winner. However, be prepared to go into the field and make the first 100 installations as most techs are closer to electricians than they are TCP/IP gurus. My experience is that they just do not understand or want to understand networking, i.e. subnet masking, routing, DNS vs IP vs UDP etc etc. Furthermore, when you install TCP/IP you must think about security even if the network is not attached to the internet. Most control products have either pathetic or no security. Try teaching the latest in network security to technicians. In short I just install whatever equipment they what, and write custom scripts to they can reconfigure or install new devices.

Integrators Rule this domain! I've never found an embedded controls product that I cannot hack..............

James

Reply to
Jams