Instrumentation Design Software

Hi all, I am interested to hear from other instrumentation design practioners on the pros and cons (good, bad, ugly) of the following software packages:

InTools from Integraph Corporation (My own assessment - it is a big pain on the back side + mega bucks required for the Oracle server)

DesignIt! from BlueHeron Software, Canada

iDesignOffice - Wiring Manager & Datasheet manager (local product from Melbourne, Australia)

Vantage Plant Engineering from Aveva, UK

  • Is the use of these software tools (packages) confined to large EPC contractors (aka Fluor, Bechtel, Foster Wheeler etc) and end users (oil refiners)?
  • Do medium sized engineering consultants and self-employed contractors use these packages to derive error free designs (driven by data base generated loop and schematic drawings)?

Any comments and suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks and regards, Raj Sreenevasan

Reply to
Raj Sreenevasan

Raj, I believe you're close..

AIUI, the medium/large companies we have dealings with typically write their own plug-ins to do the design checking, using a combination of packages (including AutoCAD) and typically outputting to Excel. My next-door neighbour works for NDY as a 'software engineer' writing, debugging and supporting the plug-ins they use.

Many of the packages you see on the market are the product of these pseudo 'software houses', sterilised and rebadged for the open market, to attempt to recover some of the R&D overhead.

The smaller ones (like ourselves) do it the old-fashioned way...

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough