S/W Eng Asks For Intuitive Explanation Of Logic Diagrams Using C Code (And, Or, Min/Max Limiter, One Frame Delay, etc.)

Hello,
Can you give me small descriptive examples in the computer language C on how to use the logic gates given on the subject line? I would also
like information and code on integators with variable gain.
Do you have a good book that would help me on these gates and other similar ones? I have books (10 years old) from my circuits courses, but I do not know how to bridge the gap between discrete components that use voltage and software.
Any help appreciated, Christopher M. Lusardi
Chris L wrote:

sci.logic is not a good newsgroup for this. It is concerned with a much more abstract form of logic than computer hardware.
I came to the same problem from the opposite direction, as an experienced programmer and software architect in a job where I needed to communicate with hardware logic designers.
"And" and "Or" map directly to the C operators && and || when given inputs that are all either zero or one. I'm not familiar with Min/Max Limiter. Delays don't really make sense in software, other than hardware simulators that model a clock. To make sense of them, you have to think of mappings between the state on e.g. one positive clock edge and the state on the next positive clock edge.
You may find it helpful to learn a hardware description language, such as Verilog or VHDL. They are programming languages that can be used to write hardware. That is, they have a subset that can be compiled to a gate list.
I liked "Digital Design: Principles & Practices" by John F. Wakerly. However, it shows boolean equations for gates, rather than C. Your mileage may vary.
Patricia
Patricia Shanahan wrote:

I fell in love with VHDL 8/9 years ago, so I photocopied a few of the common books. I basically felt that VHDL is a different programming style just like Object Oriented Programming is a different style.
I'll find my stash of papers over the weekend. But, I have to humble myself and say I admit that I had difficulty using VHDL! My forte is programming in C etc, but I noticed VHDL goes way way way beyound my simple notion of what programming is. With VHDL, you simulate hardware that's the miracle! And, I was only briefly exposed to electronics 10 years ago and probably do not have the experience required. I did use VHDL in a few very small projects. I'll try tomorrow, I promise!
Thank you, Christopher M. Lusardi
Chris L wrote:

For individual elements and small collections, truth tables are a good description. http://www.google.com/search?q=truth+table For larger collections, Karnaugh maps are sometimes helpful. (I've even used them to simplify spaghetti code.) http://www.google.com/search?q=karnaugh+map
Jerry

Jerry Avins wrote:

But, what is the truth table for a Min/Max Limiter, One Frame Delay, and integators with variable gain?
Thanks for the memories, Christopher Lusardi
Chris L wrote:

Limiters and integrators are analog devices, not generally referred to as gates and not amenable to digital design techniques. Digital delay elements are usually flip-flops, and incorporated into analyses in a variety of ways.
jerry

Those are funny terms. For one-frame delay, try looking up D-flip flop. The limiter and the variable gain integrators really aren't within the purview of Digital Logic. An integrator can be simply approximated by a running sum scaled by the sample period. You can also use a Simpson's Trapezoidal Approximation for the integral, but often the sum is good enough. As to the variable gain part, try using a simple multiplication.
The Min/max limiter should be easy to implement with a couple of if statements.
--
Scott
Reverse name to reply