What will take oxidation off brass without a lot of elbow grease?

Yes. - I do both. I use the rotary eraser tool when I am working near a port, or inside the valve casing. I also pull felt cloth's soaked in alcohol through the tubing......Anything you can get away with works for me, and I'm always looking for something new.....
Liberty Polish. Does exactly what your asking for - works just like Tarn-X for brass. It's non-abrasive with a very slight ammonia smell. It's an absolutely must-have if you own/make anything of uncoated brass. I occasionally turn solid brass candle holders as gifts. I leave them uncoated, but include a small glass jar of the stuff in the box.
Here's where I get it: http://www.rejuvenation.com/relatedproducts/polish.html (no affiliation, it's just close to my house, the guy at the counter suggested it, and it worked the way he said)
- Bruce

hand held drill cotton wheel can of paint polishing compound LIGHT pressure on teh drill. If the polishing compound doesn't get it, try Buffing compound or rubbing compound. They are more abrasive. Clean off very well and dry it off, the spray a LIGHT coat of clear lacquer over it.
Test in an inconspicuous place first.
Mark (power tools are your friend) Dunning

-