Doerr AC motor Old

We have this old (60's?) Doerr AC motor 115V, (Model 60455/E 801)

1/3 HP, single phase and we would like to buy a controller for it. But the seller wants to know, if it's split capacitor or split phase AC motor. I can't find any information on this AC motor and the company Doerr is out of business a long time. Any help, I would appreciate it. JS
Reply to
Protagonist

Does it have a big metal cylinder bulging out from it somewhere around the body? If so, it is a capacitor start motor. If not, it is probably a split phase, although if it has more than two wires coming out it might have used a remote capacitor.

What kind of controller are you looking for? For on/off controls such as switches or contactors, it really shouldn't matter. Any control rated 1/3 HP or more at 120 volts will be fine.

Reply to
Ben Miller

The presense of the capacitor alone isn't enough to tell. Capacitor start and permanant split capacitor motors both have them.

Reply to
James Sweet

True, but a PSC motor would also need a run cap, which would be a larger oil-filled capacitor either mounted remotely,or strapped to the motor. A bulge in the motor housing would most likely be a start capacitor, making the motor a capacitor start induction run, if there is no other capacitor. Even with no visible capacitor on the motor, there could be a permanent run capacitor located somewhere else. Lots of possibilities.

I am not sure there is any difference with regard to what the control seller is asking the op, which seemed to relate to capacitor vs. split phase. There would be no capacitor in a split phase motor.

Reply to
Ben Miller

Doerr is the "dor" in Baldor (Ballman and Doerr started the company and combined their names to Bal-Dor). Doeer spit off and started his own company making appliance motors, and was bought up by Grainger in

1969 who then started marketing them as "Dayton" motors. Grainger may still have records of Doerr motors.
Reply to
Bob Ferapples