ESD Protection

Just received the latest flyer from Maxim. It advertises 12 bit touch screen controller (MAX1233/MAX1234) chips with on chip +/- 15kV ESD protection. Any idea how they do that?

Reply to
ehsjr

grounding and shielding are common ways of protecting from ESD. Check the installation instructions. I will bet that they recommend an shielded cable for communication.

Reply to
SQLit

Right - but they state it is on-chip protection. I'm wondering what they do on the chip.

Reply to
ehsjr

Shielding the outside of an chip is not all that hard in today's electronics. Metal shell grounded to the circuit board would do it. Just grounding the case of the screen would help with ESD. I doubt that we are talking about any large amounts of ESD any way. Put an high voltage field generator beside it and I AM sure it would be effected.

Reply to
SQLit