Greasing up switches and connectors?

Cleaning up an old rotary mode switch used for 5v logic levels. It has some kind of grease in it.
?which has always confused me: grease is an insulator (well, the grease in
this switch is?just tested and it?s infinite ohms).
I read that dielectric grease is good to keep contacts sealed against the elements that have high physical pressure (which overcomes any separation provided by the grease) but that signal and other low voltages grease is contra-indicated.
What say y?all?
Thanks.
In article

Grease is more easily pinched through than corrosion. It extends the life of sliding switches by reducing friction.
It's only used for low level signal switching. Grease and oil slow down switching time so they'll cause power switches to arc and catch fire.
--
I will not see posts from astraweb, theremailer, dizum, or google
because they host Usenet flooders.

And by extension, oil is better at preventing corrosion while not sticking up things.
This research found that simple mineral oil reduced contact resistance dramatically:
http://www.te.com/documentation/whitepapers/pdf/p154-74.pdf
I (op) decided I?m going to cleans out this mode switch and try Caig DeOxit.
Thanks for all the great discussion.
"DaveC" wrote in message
Cleaning up an old rotary mode switch used for 5v logic levels. It has some kind of grease in it.
?which has always confused me: grease is an insulator (well, the grease in this switch is?just tested and it?s infinite ohms).
I read that dielectric grease is good to keep contacts sealed against the elements that have high physical pressure (which overcomes any separation provided by the grease) but that signal and other low voltages grease is contra-indicated.
=======================================================================Here in the UK, Electrolube manufactures a contact grease
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/111883046769
Electrolube has been selling this for 60+ years
Hope this helps