Recommendations for greasing gears?

In the process of fitting the vertical attachment to my Sturdimill, I note that the manual doesn't show any lubrication on the gears between the column and the attachment; these are in a 'dry' section with no greasing points and will have to be lubricated before assembly as the gears are inaccessible with the head fitted. Any recommendations as to what grease to use? The maximum speed here is 2000RPM on the smaller gear, so I guess a high adhesion grease may be needed.

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

I had a similar question about my Atlas lathe change gears. The manual recommended Keystone 122. I contacted Keystone through their website and they recommended one of their products (122 was no longer made), then they went on to say that any grease with "moly" in it would work. I assume moly gives it the grip. I since lost their email and don't have their specific product recommendation any longer.

-- Gary Brady Austin, TX

Gary Brady

Looking through MSC catalog they list an Open gear lub by TW Cling that is suppose to stick to the gears and not fly off.

I have also seen super sticky lub intended for 5th wheel. Don't remember the brand though. cs

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

Chevron makes an "Open Gear Lube". Comes in a tube for a caulking gun rather than a grease gun. Thick, black, clingy nasty stuff. Darned near worse than prussian blue for getting on everything, and worse to get off. But it DOES work. Have a gearbox on a Dayton bandsaw that I was rebuilding a couple of times a year, going on it's second year with the Chevron lube.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Marrs

I have used Dow Corning 321 lube. It is a dry film moly lube that is sprayed on clean metal like a paint. It bonds well and will not be slung off. It is expensive, but might be just what you need for inaccessible gears.

see

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian