How must I determine the section of a wire

Hello, I want to repair an very old toaster. How can I find the section in square mm for the wire. The voltage is 220V The lengt is 400 cm It must be "red light"

Does somebody give me a way to find the wire,?

Jacques post2jrm-09@yahoo. fr

Je voudrais réparer un vieux grille pain Comment calculer la section du fil qui fait la résistance

200V 400cm de longeur Doit passer au rouge clair
Reply to
H2SO4

Measure a length of the wire and weigh it.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush

Reply to
<salmonegg

What was the power rating of the toaster? If the nameplate is gone, try to find a toaster of similar size and use its rating as a guideline.

By this, I believe you mean that it must glow red, correct? That could mean anything around 1000K (or more). You are better off calculating the power dissipation and letting the temperature take care of itself.

Here's an interesting page for heating element sizing:

Take a look at it and see if you feel comfortable doing it yourself.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.