It is really hard ...

It is really hard to follow a lot of posts these days from people who do not include at least part of the posts they are replying to.

My news reader does not make it easy for me to find those posts. When I've marked posts as "read", they do not show again -- without some effort. And the idea of news group postings is to be able to scan as quickly as possible.

It is normal, expected, and helpful for follow-up postings to include enough of the previous thread to give explanation of the topic. I am posting this only to help those who are not (yet) aware of what they are doing. Thanks for reading. --Phil

Reply to
Phil Munro

A lot of these people are on Google Groups where they see whole threads.

The rest are just clueless.

There's a page on Google where you can ask them to implement quoting as default behavior. It's a simple form to fill out.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Google groups used to auto-quote. That stopped being automatic awhile back. I would suppose that is accounting for the upswing.

To "quote" from google groups, you need to click on the show options "option" in the post you want to quote and then click on the blue "reply" link at the top of the box that opens.....It's explained in the Help section of google groups....

Reply to
timbirr

Why don't you just use Agent as a newsreader?

Reply to
dave y.

I use what I use, and since my life does not revolve around the few news groups I scan, I continue to go with what I use -- which does a lot of things nicely. But let's not get into what we all should be using for our browsers/readers. Rather, it is a normal thing to give a reference to thread info, I think. As always, thanks to all who comment on this. --Phil

Reply to
Phil Munro

Why don't you just use Agent as a newsreader?

Is Youngstown near enough to Euclid to have the same weather? I only ask as I am due to go to a wedding there in a couple of weeks (..never the blushing bride, I know) and wondered how cold/wet/snowy it is going to be..

Yes, I have asked the family - but I only know the bride's family and they are from Myrtle Beach, where the weather is different. IIUC.

Their versions seem to range from "Scott of the Antarctic" - needing snowshoes and huskies - to "USN Date" - where three pairs of tights and not drinking alchohol will, apparently, provide enough protection ( most of the time)..

Reply to
Palindr☻me

there's a bunch of weather websites where you enter the city for local weather reports.

Reply to
bill allemann

Yes, Euclid is a 'burb of Cleveland and about 80mi. from Youngstown. Weather? What time of day?

Quite different. Myrtle Beach is 700mi south (a little east).

No alcohol Naw! I live about 700mi north-east of Euclid and so far this winter it's been fairly warm (maybe 40F warmer than last year today). Who knows what it'll be in a couple of weeks though. Cleveland is on Lake Erie so tends to get "lake-effect snow", so some snow can be expected if you're there for any time.

Reply to
Keith Williams

Thanks.

I have - but they aren't what I expected. Everyone has told me January in Ohio is all snow and bitterly cold but the present forecasts look positively balmy.

So I was just looking for some local input and a post from someone who looked to be in the neighbourhood looked a good opportunity to find out.

Sorry.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Thanks. Your last paragraph explains things perfectly. I was finding it hard to reconcile the apparent weather with what I had been told. If it is 40F warmer than a year ago, that explains a lot. Wow. That is some difference.

Dragging back memories of school geography, I thought the big US continental land mass meant that weather conditions tended to have short-term stability and so the weather in a couple of weeks time will be much the same as it is now..

Reply to
Palindr☻me

It's easy. Just top post and snip all the relevent text.

Then crosspost, ya moron.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

Reply to
Phil Munro

I just checked. It's 43F right now. There wasn't one day last January when it got above 32F, and two weeks when it didn't get above 10F (lows down to -25F). 40F warmer than this time last year isn't far off.

If "short term" == an hour. ;-) The US isn't just a large continental land mass. The Gulf of Mexico changes weather patterns substantially. It's not at all like Asia, for example.

The high in Euclid today is supposed to be 58F.

The "long term" (two weeks) forecast[*] for Euclid is in the mid

20s, so don't count on _any_ stability in the weather.

[*] Not to be relied on.
Reply to
Keith Williams

I don't live in Ohio, I live in western New York, and all I can tell you right now is that we're having a really wierd winter this year. Normally January-March is true winter, but this year, not really so far. Just check Accuweather or Wunderground or the Weather Channel right before you leave to get the forecast.

Reply to
KLS

"Palindr?me" wrote

You'll have to check the weather, the day b/4 you get here.

I work for ODOT in the area you will be traveling to. Just this last Tues, we were salting & plowing with a ground temp of 24 degrees. Today Friday, we were out patching potholes in 50+ degrees.

Last year at this time, we had somewhere around 22 straight days plowing & salting, without a day off.

Reply to
Sammy

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 15:26:28 -0500, Phil Munro Gave us:

That's what *SHE* said...

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:07:21 -0500, Phil Munro Gave us:

You should place at least ONE blank line between what was quoted, and your CRAP.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Here is what I do Phil. I use the View: Hide Read Messages (which is what I suspect you are doing, although it might carry a different naming). If I wish to go back into an already read part of the thread I simply change the view to Show All Messages. Easy as cake. Hoping this might help, Tomes (who wishes that top posting was the norm in _these_ NGs as it makes the most sense to me)

Reply to
Tomes

I use Mozilla Thunderbird and i think it would reduce your problems, and it's free... it integrates with Firefox perfectly which is also free.

-bob

Reply to
bob mcree

Reply to