It is really hard ...

The short answer is no. Cleveland, Euclid and the other suburbs to the East and Northeast of Cleveland are called "the snow belt". they get "lake effect" precipitation and generally have a worse time of it then West and South. In general when you travel south, even as little as Akron the winter weather tends to be milder.

the better answer is who knows? we tend to get severe blizzards in February. bring a coat and gloves.

Reply to
TimPerry

Thanks everyone.

I have settled on the "Scott of the Antarctic" look, sans snow-shoes. I don't intend to pack that much as I assume that shops there will have a better range of suitable clothing than those in Devon, UK.

I was planning to hire a car and drive up to see friends in Toronto - but will leave the decision on that until I get to Euclid. The temperature there seems to have fallen 20 degrees in a week.

For those that have despaired over my wanderings OT for the group - I apologise. But I have always been of the conviction that, if you wan't to know the reality and not the wishful thinking, ask an engineer...

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Is '

' not accessible from outside north america? Just punch in the city and state name before you start packing, and click the '10 day forecast' button.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Yep, weather forecasts are accessible - together with historic data of the weather there a year ago. I wasn't expecting and didn't understand why it was so different from last year (like 30 degrees or more different) and wanted to know if it would last..I was taught, typically wrongly, that the big land mass of the US meant stable weather patterns that altered only slowly. That you can have a ten day forecast that can be believed is quite something....

I have never lived anywhere with temperatures that do those sorts of changes in so short a time...

Reply to
Palindr☻me

the bittersweet saying for this area of the US is: if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes.

Reply to
TimPerry

Where's that, MidAtlantic area?

Reply to
badgolferman

I've heard a lot of areas claim this. Midwest (Wisconson), MidAtlantic (Va), New England (Maine), even Florida in the summer time.

I think it's a 'universal truth', like "everyone talks about the weather, but...."

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

that too, but we were talking about Cleveland metro

Cleveland update: its been an unusually mild winter so far (so the residents say). it was quite mild there today. when i stopped at the Pennsylvania state line it was fridged. when i got back to central New York there is snow on the ground.

Reply to
TimPerry

Sure. Teh point I tried to express to the OP was that the weather patterns in the US are quite unstable, mostly because of the Gulf of Mexico.

I live in NW Vermont (a seven hundred or so miles to the NE of Cleveland) and it's been mostly in the 30s and 40s. Today was like spring! We're about 15% behind normal in heating_degree_days. Last year wasn't so kind.

Reply to
Keith