Munitions

It is said that electrical and aerospace engineers build weapons while civil engineers build targets. I'm interested in pursuing a career in EE but for philosophical and religious reasons have no interest in working on weapon systems or for companies that do substantial business with the military. With that restriction, what are the chances of finding a job as an EE? I've searched careers.ieee.org and find that most of the jobs in signal processing, my major interest, are military related.

--Pete Schult

Reply to
Pete Schult

Work for a power company, a telephone company, a building contractor, a computer company, or help PETA.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush

Reply to
Salmon Egg

THe industry is pretty broad and there are *many* non-military jobs. OTOH, if all you're interested in is signal processing, you might have a problem. OTOH, maybe you could screw people out of their hard-earned money by designing the next audiophool widget; "Monster-DSP"! ...or has TI already trumped you with their OLP (or whatever it is they're advertising 24/7)?

Reply to
Keith

hi end audio processing, test equipment, entertainment industries all use some pretty sexy electronics nowadays.

Reply to
no_one

Test equipment will find its way into military work. As for entertainment or high end audio, good luck finding much work in the USA.

Maybe telecom.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I've seen adds looking for EEs from Klipsh, Crown, and a few others over the past few months. IIRC the Klipsh add was just a couple of weeks ago. Their site says they're looking for a few engineers in Indianapolis, IN:

Keith Williams

And while you're pondering your choices, thank some of the engineers that designed the weapon systems which provide the very freedom you have to ponder your career path.

Reply to
JohnQ

There are many branches of electrical engineering; I have never been pushed into doing military work. Think up something to do with signal processing and do it, no need to have someone else assign your life's work...

Tom

Reply to
TomP