Opus Spice for Linux

I have been using Opus Spice for Windows for a while. I am trying to set it up on my Linux (Kanotix-Debian) machine. When I run the script to start the application I am getting errors. Anyone have any experience running Opus Spice under Linux and have any pointer? thanks

Reply to
Mark Walter

ISTR last time I used it it was Tcl/Tk based so you need these installed (usually are in most linux distros).

What errors do you get?

If you want an alternative you could try switchercad. It runs under windows but works fine with wine.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Tks Ian

I've tried a couple of way, nothing is working. If I go and open a console as normal user and enter "bash spice3" from the directory the spice3 config file is in I get a error message "Segmentation fault". If I do the same thing but as the root user I get

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server Xlib: No protocol specified

spice3.bin: cannot connect to X server :0.0

My guess is that the application is looking for a x-server, but I'm already running KDE xwindowing environment. Any Ideas?

M Walter

Reply to
Mark Walter

I'm replying late, so you've probably already solved this, but anyway:

X is a little weird in that not even root can connect to another user's X session without being granted permission.

To get the app to run as the root user, you might try xhost + from an xterm running as your KDE logged-in user. (This is technically bad, since it's allowing any user from anywhere to connect to your display, if your X server is set up without the 'nolisten tcp' option).

Then you may want to make sure your DISPLAY environment variable is set correctly. If you're using the bash shell, I'd try: export DISPLAY=:0.0

After the previous two commands, try re-running your app again.

Unfortunately, I suspect that once you're past the X errors as root, it'll behave exactly as it does under a normal user.

William

Reply to
schumach