Permits

You all were so helpful with my previous post, I am going to give it another shot. I am somewhat new to electrical, I have worked with small stuff like running a new outlet or adding a circuit. I was reading the other day that new electrical work requires a permit. Does this include if you want to do electrical work on your own house? To what extent does a permit have to be obtained for? For example, If I want to switch out an outlet, or move a ceiling outlet 2 feet over, does this require a permit? Or does running a new circuit or feeder require a permit? If you are required to have a permit does it also require a licensed electrician? I know some of this depends on where I live (NW Arkansas) and the codes, so does anyone know where I can find the electric codes and regulations for my area.

Thanks again for all your help, Matt

Reply to
Matt

Call the county offices where you live. Each jurisdiction is a bit different. Here if your doing a simple remodel and moving an existing circuit it is ok. Add a circuit and your supposed to get a permit. Most people do not. They have enough to do as it is. As for the licensed electrician. Again here the home owner can pull his own permit up to and including a service change for a residence. Not for commercial...

Reply to
albown

If you house already has electricity and the light work, etc. then the work you do is considered "old work."

Many places don't require a permit for such work.

Exactly: it depends.

I suspect that in a semi-rural state like Arkansas there is a general "don't ask; don't tell" policy in effect.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Hell, that's not unique to Arkansas. Here in Massachusettes if you pull a permit for an existing residence you are considered fair game,and they paint a bullseye on your back labeled 'SUCKER'!

Watch the movie "Brazil" to see what this will eventually lead to.]

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover