Power quality monitor -- cheap?

John E. wrote:

I'm not positive of this, but I believe some of the UPS systems that have cabled monitoring, i.e. hook to your computer via serial port or USB, will give a power line reading if queried. Don't ask me which ones. I know my TrippLite 1000VA unit has a front-panel display and I *suspect* it would tell the computer the line voltage if asked.
--
"Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day,
they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally.

Now that you mention it, my PowerWare UPS does have this feature, and a program can record line conditions based on a polling interval. Probably nto the best solution however since I am sure short (single cycle) faults will be lost in this setup.
Another alternative is eBay. I see products like the Amprobe monitors (older, chart type) selling for about $100 or so. Hell, I'll sell mine for that! <bg>
PeterD wrote:

Right. It's only really good for trends. But sometimes faults follow trends. And it's a whole lot less data to process than, say, 600 Hz samples of line voltage over a week (362,880,000 samples to check).
--
"Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day,
they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally.
John E. wrote:

How about one of these?
https://www.doubleed.com/secure.html

Fluke VR101S
JB
John E. wrote:

A cheap UPS? Mine can be queryed via a serial port and tells you line voltage and frequency (along with a lot of other things you probably don't care about).
Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel snipped-for-privacy@mendelson.com N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
John E. wrote:

So rent one.
--
JosephKK

Rent one.

Or ask for the utility to give you the data-when I told them that I had to find the data for my thesis, a lady gave me a diskette that had everything, from load/frequency, to fuel cost.Do you have any contacts with the utility?