Power Supply Project

I need to design a power supply on Multsim 7 using 120v in, a bridge circuit and the output has to have a + and - 15 at 0.5amps unregulated and a reference voltage of 5v 2mA regulated.

I'm not sure I understand what the meaning of unregulated is. I thought I was suppose to use an LM7815 and LM7915 for this project but that would make it a regulated circuit, right? So far what I have is a virtual transformer stepping down 4:1, 4 1n4002 because they can supply 1 amp of current with

70volts I believe. Then I have my regulators which I guess is what I need. If I put a 30 ohm resistor on the regulator output (15volts / 0.5 amps), the output starts off around 14volts and climbs to about 14.8 or so. Plus I have no idea what to use for a capacitor on the input side to get rid of the ripple. I just took a guess of 1000uf.

As far as what I 'thought' we were suppose to be doing was after the bridge rectifier, use a combination of R and C to get the output at 15 volts at

0.5amps using some Thev equivelent circuit. I feel lost on this project because we hvae not covered regulators, the instructor hasn't been very clear on the design or anything throughout the course and the more questions you ask, the more behind we fall on other material.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
Peter

arn't students allowed to use real parts anymore?

using 120v in, a bridge circuit

it is accepted usage that unregulated is rectified and filtered. (but no active elements)

I thought I

right

is the transformer center tapped?

4 1n4002 because they can supply 1 amp of current with

as no ripple is speced it appears not to be relevent to the project.

use ohms law

I feel lost on this project

hint: A REAL transformer has an internal resistance. as you increase the current load the terminal voltage drops. without knowing the R (int) in advance you will have to perform measurements before finalizing the design.

hint: at 2mA a resistor and a Zener will do fine for a +5 supply.

hint: calculate power dissipation in each resistor so you can use sufficient wattage parts.

advise: power supply fundamentals will be important as you progress in electronics. learn it well.

Reply to
TimPerry

chuckle

When all else works, why not try a few values of C at different loads and find one that gives low ripple. It's the least you can do. Might be worth marks.

Drink some beer, this will help.

Good luck.

operator jay

OK, I understand my project better, I emailed the teacher. I obviously need a bridge circuit and coming off of that (let's just use the positive side for now) will have a Reistor to ground and a Capacitor to ground which will do the filering. then the output of that will go into a regulator. There is a spec for AC ripple which is less than 10mV, I believe this is the input side of the regulator.

My original thought was that I needed some value(s) of resistors to make the bridge output 15volts, but that's not the case. I guess I was thinking too much like a voltage divider circuit rather than designing a power supply. So I want to make the transformer so the bridge output is around 18 volts with low ripple, then use that into a regulator to produce 15volts out.

Now how do I calculate the resistor that I should use? The regulator output will handle up to 1amp, so do I base the input on around 0.5amps (which is the design I need)?

Here is my guess on the values:

18volts / 0.5amps = 36ohms

I've been told to use an RC of 5 time constants, so that would make the RC needing to be equal to 41.67msec. So my C value would be:

41.67ms / 36ohms = 1.16mF

Now plug those two values in and bang my output should be around 18volts with very little ripple????? Then the negative is easy, that's just the same values as the positive and the regulator is a different number. The 5volt ref. I think I can handle as well.

Thanks

Reply to
Peter

sigh... i feel old

I obviously need

why? resistor to ground? you mean total resistance to ground?

and a Capacitor to ground which will

you need to find out for sure.

just a guess here but since you haven't covered regulators in class yet could it be that that the project involves a simple pi filter? you did originally spec it as an unregulated output.

3 terminal regulators shure make life easy these days but i think your assignment is to get you thinking more about basic circuit design.

hint: remember that diodes drop .6 volts

where did the 18 volts come from? what is your AC secondary voltage? its it no load or full load?

Reply to
TimPerry

I think I'm all set.

I used 18 volts coming off the bridge circuit because I needed 18 to eventually go into a regulator.

The teacher didn't care if we used a regulator or not, he just wanted us to get around 18 volts. So I used a bridge circuit, a resistor and capacitor to ground. The resistor was 40ohms and the cap that I calculated (based on 5 time constants) was about 1100uf, I used a 1500uf.

My ripple wasn't bad at all and I put that into a regulator.

Thanks for everyone's help. I think I understand power supplies a little better now! phew, it seemed easy, but yet it was pretty hard!

Thanks again everyone!!!!

Reply to
Peter