Structured wiring: fiber optic or not?

Go away, top posting retard. Come back when you are capable of observing Usenet posting conventions and expected practices.
Josepi wrote:

Like these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-StarTech-com-10-100-MultiMode-Fiber-Ethernet-/400139694880?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2a2f3320
There's several similar items still sitting at the opening bid. We scrapped a bunch of this sort of stuff at one of the companies I worked, it was a pain in the butt, hardware was expensive, and the advantages were far outweighed by the disadvantages when it came to connecting individual workstations and servers to the intranet.

Which is what I've been saying the whole time. Unless you have a very specialized need for fiber, there's no point. It was popular for a while but in internal networks, gigabit copper pretty much knocked it out for all but a few specialized applications.
Yup, except these are used for about 30km distances, high powered units. The <2km units are much cheaper.
We used these for across cities at the customer sites against some rack mount crap at the POP site end.
Josepi wrote:

Which is what I've been saying the whole time. Unless you have a very specialized need for fiber, there's no point. It was popular for a while but in internal networks, gigabit copper pretty much knocked it out for all but a few specialized applications.

There are companies that make data and RF bundled cable. Just a thought.
I'm not so sure running RF is all that useful these days. I own a few boxes that pipe video over either data cabling . Silicon Dust for TV and a USB satellite box. But there are satellite boxes that support data cables directly these days.