usa licence

From: "Brian Boyle" Subject: usa licence Date: 29 October 2003 14:29

I am a fully qualified electrician in the u.k. but am thinking of trying to move to Houston Texas( my girlfriends parents have moved there). I have heard you need a licence to work in the USA, does anyone know how you go about getting this and could this be done online before you go there.

Reply to
Brian Boyle

If I understand the rules correctly, in the US (at least in most states) you will be required to serve an apprenticeship under a master electrician license holder for an unspecified period of time before you can obtain an electrician's license of your own.

It's sort of a union job security thing here.

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

In the "right to work" states that is defined as having some number of years working in the trade, union or not. I would suggest the OP check on the state of Texas web site, looking for the licensing requirements. There may still be a problem translating the way they do things in UK to the way we do things over here. If he knows basic wiring skills and is a fast learner of the NEC, I am sure he can get a job working for a contractor.

Reply to
Gfretwell

I did a little looking on the Texas web site with no hits on anything electrical. This may be done by county there. If so there are probably counties where anyone with a pair of Kleins and a mouthfull of wirenuts can be an electrician.

Reply to
Gfretwell

A google search for "Texas electrical license" turned up a lot of results. This might be the information you're after.

Look about a third of the way down the page. Licensing requirements vary by state. There are reciprocal arrangements between the neighboring states sometimes. You might be able to find a neighboring state with less stringent licensing requirements and then use that as a basis for a Texas license. There is no national electrical license as far as I know.

Dean

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

It can be statewide or very local - depending on where you go. Try googling Houston electrical contractors license and see what you get.

To give you an example, in Ohio, you have to be licensed at the state level for non-residential. Residential, you have to go to the local jurisdiction. Some cities have licensing, others have registration, and still others have nothing.

Sincerely,

Donald L. Phillips, Jr., P.E. Worthington Engineering, Inc.

145 Greenglade Avenue Worthington, OH 43085-2264

snipped-for-privacy@worthingtonNSengineering.com (remove NS to use the address)

614.937.0463 voice 208.975.1011 fax

Don Phillips

I think it is more of an experience thing. In Ohio, the requirements have nothing to do with the experience being union.

Sincerely,

Donald L. Phillips, Jr., P.E. Worthington Engineering, Inc.

145 Greenglade Avenue Worthington, OH 43085-2264

snipped-for-privacy@worthingtonNSengineering.com (remove NS to use the address)

614.937.0463 voice 208.975.1011 fax

Don Phillips

Good Google Dean, It looks like this licensing is brand new and they may be sort of flexible on the experience requirements until they get it going. In Florida there was a year or so when it was easy to get licensed. He will still have to pass the NEC based test tho. That may not be so easy for a guy from across the pond if our discussions here mean anything.

This was what I got from the new law;

JOURNEYMAN ELECTRICIAN. An applicant for a license as a journeyman electrician must: (1) have at least 8,000 hours of on-the-job training under the supervision of a master electrician; and (2) pass a journeyman electrician examination administered under this chapter. Sec. 1305.156. RESIDENTIAL WIREMAN. An applicant for a license as a residential wireman must: (1) have at least 4,000 hours of on-the-job training under the supervision of a master electrician or residential wireman; and (2) pass a residential wireman examination administered under this chapter. Sec. 1305.158

Reply to
Gfretwell

I didn't see anyone else suggest the obvious...

You need a green-card or other working visa to work in the US. A visitor cannot legally be employed. Now if you married the little lassie... ;-)

I propose that it's more difficult to get the "working papers" than it is to get hired as an electrician (depending on the area, of course).

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

That's a crock. Most States require a license to protect the public from dangerous wiring - it has nothing to do with union job security. Most States have adopted the National Electrical Code (NEC.) To become an electrician one must work for 8,000 hours performing new construction work subject to the NEC while working under the guidance of a licensed journeyman and must also take and pass a 4 hour written examination. In some states credit is given for up to 1,000 hours of classroom training.

Electrical work requires three types of learning: psychomotor, cognitive, and affective. Psychomotor skills are very important since climbing ladders, crawling, bending, using hand tools and equipment are daily requirement for electricians. Cognitive is also important. Knowing basic theory and safety procedures is an absolute necessity. Affective learning is not as important since many times electricians work alone. But the ability to get along with people and ones attitude certainly count.

Reply to
Gerald Newton