What is a proper equivalent circuit for a Permanent Magnet Alternator?

I am part of a senior projects team building a piece of lab equipment based on a closed loop water system. We are going to be using a Harris-Pelton turbine, and are investigating two different means of power generation to be coupled to the turbine (permanent magnet generator and permanent magnet alternator). Both will be rectified to DC output.

In order to select the best fit and prove the operation of the method of power generation, I need to develop curves for Shaft torque vs. Shaft speed and Power vs. Shaft speed. I have developed these curves for the permanent magnet generator. I need to find the proper equivalent circuit for the permanent magnet alternator, as the electro-machinery book I have does not extensively cover PMA's.

Preliminary research on some websites have suggested that it can be modeled as a DC Shunt Motor, but I was wondering if this is true. If it isn't does anyone have an appropriate equivalent circuit model?

Reply to
Leroy E. James

For an automotive-type alternator, a 3-phase PM AC generator with series resistance and inductive reactance feeding a full-wave bridge rectifier would be a good model.

For a PM unit, open-circuit voltage is proportional to shaft speed. The frequency is also proportional to shaft speed.

Be careful here, even if you are using an automotive alternator that outputs DC, it is *really* an AC generator with rectifiers. So the current through the stator is AC. This means the inductance of the windings forms an internal inductive reactance that can play a role in the machine's characteristics.

Counter torque applied to the shaft by the unit would be proportional to current (determined from generated voltage[prop. speed], internal parameters and load). Shaft power is simply torque times speed.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

PMG-Permanent Magnet Generators

We manufacture 100 watts, 500 watts, 1 kw, 5 kw, 10 kw PMG - permanent-magn et generator with Neodymium Magnets.

PMG, Permanent Magnet Generator, Permanent Magnet Generators, Rare Earth Ma gnets, Magnets, Neodymium Magnet, Wind Turbine, Wind Turbines, Hydro Turbin e, Hydro Turbines, Permanent Magnet Alternator, Permanent Magnet Alternator , Wholesale Electrical Equipment Supplies, Wholesale Generator Parts Access ories

address : F-2636 Palam Vihar Gurgaon, Haryana-122017 India

Reply to
pmgenerator2014