how to get a 2.0 USB transmitter

Hi, I'm working with Mindstorms 1.5, and now I want to replace the serial IR-Transmitter with the USB version from RIS2.0 (and also update the software). This is needed because my laptop has no serial interface.

Does anybody know how to get a usb-version of the IR-Transmitter and the 2.0software ???

thanks ...GERD...

Reply to
G.K.

The software is available from Shop At Home. The Tower is available from Dacta. Some notebooks have problems with the USB tower. Dacta

at Home

Bob Fay

Did you had a look to an USB->RS232_DB9 adapter ? It might be less expensive.

Reply to
Thierry Charlier de Chily

Yes, I had. I bought a port replicator from the same manufacturer as my laptop, but the transmission of the start program fails. Same hardware works perfect on my "standard" pc.

@Bob: which problems does some notebooks have with the USB transmitter ? Is it generally a problem to work with mindstorms on a laptop ???

thanks ...GERD...

Reply to
G.K.

Toshiba seems to have a problem with locking up when the tower is trying to engage. I don't have a notebook, so I don't have any personal experience. I have seen several complaints aired on Lugnet and no solutions have been posted. You might pursue the question on lugnet.robotics newsgroup.

Bob Fay