Lego Trains

9V Lego trains are pretty cool, but I would love to see Lego introduce electric switching rails (or "points" in UK :) ) and electric lighting etc like they had when 12V trains were around.
Reply to
Carl Gibson

I remember to have seen some solutions to that problem on Lugnet. I think there was both one which used one of the small red 9V motors and one which used pneumatics.

Play well,

Jacob

Reply to
Jacob Sparre Andersen

You can do this with the electric motors, and the best ones are the newer geared ones as they are faster.

You can find numerous plans and ways of disguising them on brickshelf.com

Reply to
Dean Earley

hmmm I seem to be missing a part of this thread (neti.ee server is funny)

There were such systems once, and Frank Buiting used some of the old 12V systems for signaling on 9V system - they are simple.-

you cut a piece of the rail, e.g. 1 mm in 2 places, so you get a separeted area, and put up a switch to turn it off and on (keep in mind that multiple cuts can cause other problems, such as totally "dead" areas). Signals can be made of bricks and leds. Puzzeling a little bit with electronics (switches, leds, resistors aere some wires are all one needs) and you have signals.

Automated points are a bit harder, but it _is_ possible to use the old 12V systems to control 9V points, but will will have to modify them. As Jacok says, check

Automated level crossings and other stuff is possible to, once they existed. But they can still be made using a bit of electronics: The "bom" (correct English????) can be made of bricks, but the sensor can be made the same way - cut a small part or a rail, e.g. leave a small lenght (1 cm) free - connect the "outer" parts, and use the separated part as a sensor - the point is, that the engine will supply power when it crosses. Using a diode bridge, and some stuff (e.g.. octocoupler), one has a signal (2 times as there are 2 wheels) when a train passes. Some more electronics might enable a small timer or something, which simply makes a red led flash - a simple crossing.

Sonnich Jensen

Here is a deep link:

Reply to
Sonnich Jensen