2005 Toyota Camry Theft ??

I just got a new 2005 LE with electric door locks and am curious as to how car thieves are getting into these cars and what I can do to deter them? If they get in by breaking a window is it easy for them to bypass the ignition system? tnx

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

no.. tow truck..haul and chop --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

--Shiva-- wrote: < Henry Kolesnik wrote:>

Hmm. Maybe someone needs to invent/market a GPS gizmo which is/can be/ secreted on the vehicle, continuously updating to point to the chopshop or other LoJack like functions.

It could be configured with an 'alarm' -- separate from the ignition/door key electrics. Normally you disable the GPS lojacker, if 'armed' the gpslojack signals you if the vehicle is moved without disarming and starts transmitting its continuous updating, leading you or LE law enforcement to the chopshop or carjacker.

LoJack doesn't work like that, it depends on a lojack transmitter and lojack transmitter receiver. I wonder why LoJack doesn't get with GPS for its functionality. That would make it easier for LE.

Reply to
Mike Easter

there is really NOT much you can do to stop someone from getting into your car. you can put an alarm to sound off but people these days kinda ignor the alarm sounds. if they really want your car they will have to tow it away.

no, you have an anti-theft system. they will NOT start the car but like I said above, "if they really want your car they will have to tow it away"

g'day

Reply to
Key

Greetings.

Since we are clumping it all together, into one big system called, "GPS," then GPS can be jammed.

Anyone in security should know that if an entity is passionate enough, and wants to steal something enough, they can probably figure out a way to do so. However, that is not an excuse to slack.

Once the vehicle disappears (GPS,cellular,*radio*), they may have to act quick, because there will be a last known location, but that shouldn't be to big of an obstacle. Once at the chop shop, the entity would want to locate and disable any "beacons." (This last part may be tough in such an environment, but i do not know enough about that to say for certain. The best people to ask about this would be Technical Surveillance Counter Measures (TSCM) folks.)

If someone were to use this method, then it would be interesting to see how easily the moving blind spot could be detected and tracked, if at all.

:: shrugs ::

Tow truck is a good method.

.times enemy

Mike Easter wrote:

Reply to
times enemy

I am in a town of 9,000 people, give or take.. last week a 92 Suburban, and an 04 Chevy car- (has the square chip in the key head) were stolen in under 15 minutes.. THe Suburban? $3k stereo in it, and 20 something inch wheels and rims..

broad daylight, under 15 minutes..

What did the cops tell them?

OH YEAH, we know there is a chop shop here.. (will they DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT??? NOOOOO!!!!) --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Then they'd lose their proprietary marketability.

Reply to
Steve the CS

They saw the wheels and went for them, got the expensive stereo by accident.

Those 'jackers, very fast.

They probably know there're /chopshoppers/ around - the 'shop' is ethereal.

Midnight auto supply. They're everywhere. Put your order in for something.

Kids; I was being facetious - do not buy [or order] stolen [or to be stolen] goods.

Reply to
Mike Easter

So far, no cars with transponders have been stolen by driving them away without the transponder key with 1 exception. A few Hondas have been done by replacing the cars computer with one the bad guys had. They then used their transponder key which matched their new computer and stole the car. I don't know whether they forced the ignition, but suspect that they did something because of the interlock. Possibly used a plain mechanical key and held the head of the new key next to it. This is a hard way to steal a car and not the fastest. Most crooks do not want to spend much time with the crime. Otherwise they will be doing time for the crime.

As for electric door locks. Just another way to lock/unlock the car. Usually has nothing to do with added security. Some new cars come with remotes that set an alarm when you lock the car with the remote. If you do not use a key or in some cases the actual remote, an alarm will go off when the door is opened.

Dennis

Henry Kolesnik wrote:

Reply to
Dennis

Certainly GPS isn't full proof. Professional car thieves nicked the President of Mercedes limo which had satelite tracking. The theft was detected within fifteen minutes and they had already disabled the tracking system.

Reply to
Stuart Friedman

Lojack doesn't use GPS, it uses a cellular transmitter and a some sort of triangulation process. I think it is tied to the analog cellular net. Lojack can id the cellular tower it is broadcasting on, but not the precise location.

Reply to
Stuart Friedman