American M21005 bitting

Actually we could discuss lock bittings on here with reasonable security.

In addition to the bitting, the person needs to know if it is tip to head or head to tip and also know how deep each bitting is in thousandths of an inch.

They would also need to know the spacing between bits.

Of course they may have a code machine in their basement but if they do, they probably have access to code software or books.

Brian

Reply to
Brian K.Lingard

reasonable security.

not in this case. this guy was trying to hack the TNL forum.

Reply to
Key

'hacking' would imply I was attempting to gain access without correctly answering the question. this is not the case. use a f****ng dictionary and stop throwing around very simple words which you're still not sure how to correctly use. you know I'm thinking that 'somesmartass' had a good point. your industry is full of self important assholes.

Reply to
fugi

now your true colors are coming out.

Reply to
Key

EXACTLY!

Reply to
SomeGuy

If I were to use some "human engineering" and talk to some of the people at the site of one of the computers for which you provide security services and manage to talk one of them into giving me an id/password, and then found it had root privileges - and used that to install a "root kit" - and so managed to get access to all of the computers at that site --

Would you call that "hacking"? Probably not, because I only gained access by correctly typing in the id/password!

But I think that you would be about the only person in the world who wouldn't call it "hacking" or "cracking". (Those who prefer "cracking" are probably restricting the use of "hacking" to the earlier/correct definition! :-)

I have several dictionaries, and *none* of them do this!

You sure let a minor disappointment easily drive you to the use of profanity!

Reply to
Henry E Schaffer

snip

You are incorrect. Hacking as it is commonly understood is the act of getting into a computer, server, whatever, without authorization, by illegitimate means. In other words getting a hold of a password that you're no supposed to have.

There are hacking programs that try password after password until they hit the right combination of key strokes.

Obtaining a PW by "trickery" is still considered "hacking".

BTW - How 'bout watching the language? Most intelligent people can make their point without using the "F" word.

Aligning yourself with "somesmartass" says a lot.

What exactly is "self-important" about key's post? If it's okay to post restricted information on an open forum, please back up you opinion by posting your user name and PW for your ISP.

Heck, for that matter, just post your real name and town.

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Hey Key, ever notice how trolls seem to show up in threes and back "each other" up? :)

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

That can be readily determined simply by comparison to an existing key for a lock from the same maker.

See above

So if we take your argument at face value what is the point anyway? If you aren't giving them enough information to make a key to what useful end is the discussion?

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Now now. Hacking can involve social enginering. you know I'm thinking

You might find that information would be more forthcoming at least to a degree if you didn't go out of your way to insult those who might share it.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Ahh a Freudian slip. Fugi is Brian K. Lingard.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

don't ever call me a canadian.

Reply to
fugi

Reply to
fugi

Folks, please stop feeding the trolls...

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

You are the one making the claim. You used the word "I" referring to the post asking for information about the biting.

What's the matter, can't you use a dictionary?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

and?

Reply to
fugi

Knowing the bitting allows one to access a restricted portion of a trade web site. Don't do it!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Or trying to gain entry without correct permission.

Your choice of language indicates two things to me. First, you are a lower quality of human being. Second, you don't respect access control devices. The combination of the two indicates to me that you are a danger to society. I wish you many failures in your efforts to subvert societal safeties and precautions.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Fugi did make the post asking for the biting, he made it as Fugi. Brian K responded at some point in the thread. Then Key responded to Brian K and Fugi responded to that but referred to his own post not directly to the BK one. I think you misread it unless I'm missing something.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

meh.. it's not all that great. I did expect more. there are a few interesting things on there, but a whole lot of opening cars. which bores me. wanna get a couple of the books they had listed on their online store for safe techs. looks cool.

Reply to
fugi