Michigan Locksmithing and CCTV Laws

I'm new to the group so bear with me please. I've been working as a security system designer, installer, and consultant for a few years now. My background is primarily in information security (computer networks, access control systems, CCTV, and the like). I'm currently working on learning the locksmithing trade to make my security knowledge portfolio more well rounded. My plan in the next year or two is to open a security solutions business offering a wide variety of security services from lock work to CCTV system to computer security. I attended college majoring in computer science so I have a strong computer system and computer programming background.

What are some suggestions and things to look out for when entering the security business, especially lock work and access control systems?

Can anybody point my in the right direction for information regarding Michigan laws governing lock work and CCTV businesses? I looked all over michigan.gov but couldn't find much. I know Michigan doesn't regulate a lot of businesses like some states so it's possible that there are no regulations.

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
Matthew Reath

Never heard of access control and CCTV being put under "information security"...

Are you wanting to do all lock work or just lock work as it pertains to access control? The latter will require familiarization with electric strikes, maglocks, and electric exit bars (some put these under the strikes catagory). You will need to familiarize yourself, also, with the Life Safety Code (NFPA 101). Remember, you will have to interface with, or make arrangements with a fire-licensed company to interface with, fire alarm systems to get your automatic release on fire alarm for fire exit doors.

How do you plan to handle customers who want monitored systems? Though rare in the access control and CCTV fields, they do exist.

Can't help ya on Michigan-specific regulation because it's not my area and I'm too lazy tonight to go searching for it. You'll find even less states regulate CCTV than locksmithing.

Ok ok... a cursory search suggests they regulate the security alarm and fire alarm industries, but non-monitored CCTV and access control, as well as locksmithing, are unregulated in Michigan.

Reply to
Aegis