Best stores?

PS Be advised that at least in this country there are many types of tubular locks. Figure out what you will be working with the most with before you buy anything.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

This is no problem, just cut the bike instead, this way the lock stuck on your pipe will be no problem, and the owner can retrieve it when they return. A cheap hack saw will cut through any bike frame or wheel.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Hmm... It has to do with the way he is taking possession of the bikes, by destroying the lock you are taking responsibility for safekeeping of it... Who knows what he wants to do, maybe just move the bikes to another location, or play a joke on someone by having a disappearing trick with a bike then returning it to where it was the next day...

You don't know, I don't know, but he is looking for a lock pick on-line and has a very shaky backround story...

Why am I interested in locks in general -- Because I have been taking them apart since I was around 10, and I cut ten of thousands of keys from age 15 to 19 working in a hardware store where I also learned how to rekey basic house locks... Over the years since then I have learned more about locks as I have become more involved with them at work...

Now here is one for you: Why did you become interested in locks in general ??? ANd why did you become a locksmith ???

Evan the Maintenance Man

Reply to
Evan

Bolt cutters in a simple shopping bag would not be noticed at all. I have never heard of any petty thief picking a tubular lock.

I think both would be equally noticable while the action were taking place the difference is the bolt cutters would be faster by a factor of 20+.

Some people would look at that as having respect for the owners property. .

I don't care what your in the mood for. Your stance and reasoning doesn't make any sense. If you have a problem with that being pointed out don't post it. While were on the subject of not posting do you think you could possibly refrain from feeding perhaps just one troll that comes along?

Probably because most storefront suppliers won't deal with non-locksmiths. Many of my suppliers wouldn't deal with you, you're not a locksmith and wouldn't have a business license or resale/tax certificate to show them. Does that mean you're a criminal?

I don't care what the laws in Europe are. I'm not there. The laws and compliance with them are the OP's problem. As to your last statement why don't you just approach a locksmith in your area for assistance when you need it instead of posting here?

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Oh yeah I'm sure he wants to go to all that trouble just to play a joke. If he were stealin g bikes he wouldn't give a flip about destroying the lock,chain or whatever the weakest link happens to be.

And his reason stated is work related. Just like you.

r you: Why did you become interested in locks in general

For income. It's a business.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Sounds like you have it covered from all angles then... Why not post your info so he can call you to help him when he needs it...

So you think that the bicycle owner should be rewarded for not respecting posted orders on the property of another person or company ??? .

Oh, thats right,. you feel that you are the only one that can post to do that with your abuse at whatever domain the troll uses... If you can post so can I, if you don't like what I have to say then killfile...

You are wrong on that one, I am an agent of a business so therefore I do not have to be in busniess for myself and have use of proper tax documents when I require them...

Why ??? Is this a group for locksmiths only, or do you want people to post questions here ??? Or maybe you feel that it is a group for posts that don't offend your personal sense of order...

I have never asked for defeating instructions and I never will... You won't give defeating instructions (and you refer to the FAQ whenever that issue comes up) but you have no problem with refering someone to a source of tools that are capable of being used for defeating locks...

Reply to
Evan

ANd why did you become a locksmith ???

When I have more experience I just might do just that, and become a locksmith... For income... I am NOT in business, I work for one... Much less stress about where my paycheck comes from...

You still didn't answer my question about why you are interested in locks in general... I asnwered it... Your turn

Reply to
Evan

Translation: I have no logical argument to that point.

I can see why the individual removing the bicycle might want to minimize damage to anothers property and no I don't think the removal needs to be done in anymore a punitive fashion than needed.

I don't post that. That's Key. I don't even send abuse reports on trolls unless they are heavily crossposted or completely offtopic since otherwise they usually don't clearly violate any rules and thus an abuse report is just a waste of my time.

. If you can post

You can post anything you want, although none of it is especially clever and it just encourages the trolls to stay. I knew you wouldn't be able to refrain from doing it anyway. I just thought I'd ask. While your at it why don't you do as another regular rocket scientist here has done and go over and troll COLA for a little while. That really helped with the volume of crossposts. Just about tripled them. .

Some suppliers will still only sell to a locksmith.

No it isn't. Which is why the poster that you jumped all over has every bit as much right to post his question here as you have yours.

or do you want people to post

Nope. That seems to be your position. Otherwise why jump all over the OP of this thread?

No I don't. That's Key and a couple other people. Referring to the FAQ's IMHO for that is a bad idea because they say nothing especially definitve on the subject and in fact give and link to defeating instructions themselves.

but you have no problem with refering someone to a source of tools

Nope. No problem at all. Bolt cutters or other tools can be used alot easier by criminals. 90+% of tubulars can be forcefully compromised by minor modification to a tool available in any good hardware store. Total cost for the working implement itself less than $10.00. Discussing virtually any aspect of locks or locking mechanisms can be used to defeat them. "Tubular lockpick" typed into Google produces 700+ results. I don't think the average crook is all that concerned with paying an extra $50.00 or so. He'll make that back off the first vending machine or bike.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

But also no tax advantages, little autonomy, and little security against layoff etc.

I'm mechanically inclined. It's as good a thing to do as any other and frankly the work is not that hard although some peoples complaining might make one believe otherwise.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Many "skilled labor" or "crafts" jobs (whether for hire or as an independent business) substitute knowledge and skill for "hard work." Add to that an enjoyment of the basic work, and one can have a really nice job - and get paid well for it.

When I hear people really complaining about their jobs, I often think that either they aren't appropriately skilled or that they need to find something else that they like. (I'm not including the ones where there is a lousy boss, etc.)

Reply to
Henry E Schaffer

I'll answer that one too :)

I'm responsible for IT security for a large corp on the east coast, and consult for companies nationwide. When I get there, there are usually very strict security policies out the wazoo, and a kwikset key-in-knob or 5 pin schlage between the multi-million $$ data center and public access areas. For kicks, I taught myself how to pick. Same initial story as you, "kid takes apart stuff to see how it works". Some of it even got put back together...

I initially got certified (CRL) to make it easier for me to get access to information that is considered "trade knowledge", so as to be able to make better descisions on the physical security of data centers I build out, and to help me separate the fools from the pros when we bring them in.

I consider myself a pretty green locksmith, and if I know more than the contractor there's a problem. Over the years, we've dropped many folks that were bidding outside of thier abilities in initial screening, and being a CRL makes it easier for the beancounters to accept my explanation why the lowest bidder *didn't* get the job.

Reply to
TF

I have received several e-mails from regulars asking why I helped someone in locating picks in this post. Why is it a problem for someone to supply info to a person to help them in their quest to buy a pick?

They still have to convince the seller in this (my) case H.L. Flake that they have a right to buy the pick. Then if they do pass that test then they need to learn how to use the pick.

Some have said a 7 pin standard pick is for high security locks. I disagree except that some 7 pin standard offset ACE-II brand locks can be considered HS but when was the last time you tried to pick one. They're almost impossible to pick with the variable tension springs and false sheer lines. I've never been able to pick one and I drill them out when I see one. Why bother with a pick when you know you'll be there all day trying to save a 10 dollar lock.

Why is it that this group is so against trying to help some in their quest to find a pick? I dont believe in giving defeating instructions dont get me wrong but I dont see where the two can be considered the same. Suppling info on where to buy a pick is not the same as telling them how to use it plus it doesnt mean the seller will automaticly sell it to the person in question. The company I suggested has been in buisness for about 100 years and they charge fair prices. What's wrong with posting their link?

Reply to
Glen Cooper

It isn't. Picks are a virtual non-issue. They are all over the web. Anyone who is too lazy to find them on their own will never have the patience to learn to use them anyway and no crook is going to give a flip about paying double if they need to. There is nothing wrong with helping somebody find what they need at a price that isn't a rip off.

Your absolutely right. Most tubulars are vulnerable to force and that's what crooks use on them.

Not a thing. Let the company decide if they want to make the sale. People should be glad that you referred him to a reputable company since it will take money from the ones who sell to anyone and everyone which those same people likely dissapprove of.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

can get one for

because I am the

building and I often

fire department

not know anything

would be a useful tool?

forget the pick. get some bolt cutters..

Reply to
Key

"Me" snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net trolled in message

---snip---

Reply to
Key

do not need to be

evidently not. why are you worried about saving a $10.00 bike lock ?

Reply to
Key

this

there are

cheaper?

does

but I

the decoder and case

wants to sell you a

pay for.

online store as I

if your qualified to buy ? try Google.

g'day

Reply to
Key

has a length of 85 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL which has a length of 24 characters:

Key

How could you teach lockpicking? You only know how to kick in the bloody door.

Reply to
Lisa Winters

Have you ever posted anything which remotely made sense?

Reply to
Lisa Winters