Door locks recommendations

Customer has a 7-unit apt bldg with Titan knobs and deadbolts in a masterkey system. Also has some spare cylinders and rotates the spares into doors as tenants move out. Keeps a log of which cylinder was installed in which apt during which period of time.

I have finally talked him into replacing the Titans with something better. I am leaning towards a Schlage IC, with a half-dozen spares each for the knob and deadbolts.

Quite important in the decision is whether or not the new knobs/bolts will go right into the existing (standard) holes and line up with the existing strikes. This is because the doors (old) have quite an intricate system of draft protection built into the edges.

Of course the easiest solution is to just install one and see what happens!

Ralph

Reply to
Pumper Hinkle

strike work might be the thing.. install and see.. then listen to him scream when he loses the CORE key.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Shiva:

As long as you are talking Schlage LFIC loosing a core key isn't the end of the world...

Evan, ~~ formerly a maintenance man, now a college student...

Reply to
Evan

In residential use the Titans should work just fine. IIRC they had a lifetime guarantee also.

I bet when your landlord gets an idea of the price for the hardware you are suggesting he might just opt to rekey his Titan cylinders.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I should have mentioned: one of the reasons for switching from Titan is the cost of spare cylinders. I can get a whole knob or deadbolt assembly for less than the cost of a replacement cylinder.

So to get a replacement cylinder for a Titan, I end up purchasing a new knob or db.

Reply to
Pumper Hinkle

Who said anything about leaving a core key with the building super? Well, I guess you could......

Nice thing about Schlage cores, you can make a core key that is specific to each change key pattern. For a locksmith, it's not terribly dificult to figure out the core key for Schlage cores.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I had that happen one time when a customer wanted me to convert a Schlage B-160 to double cylinder. It was easier and cheaper to buy the entire lock.

Know what you mean.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

it was mentioned the price of extra Titan Cylinders was expensive, so I am 'guessing' the building owner was going to do the changing out, and have them repinned later.. so, doing it with the Schlage, he still has to have the 'core key' to remove same..plus the cost of all the new hardware that will accept same.. Personally, I do not see a $ savings here, as its been said so far-due to the cost of IC capable door knobs. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--