FIC locks for RV's

Looking to find some info on FIC door latching hardware for RV's.

Specifically: Who makes them and do they have a website, and what kind of kit is needed to rekey them. Can cylinders be purchased separately? etc.

Some trailer manufacturers who install FIC locks on their double-door trailers do not key them alike. There seems to be some market in rekeying one of the doors so that both operate with the same key. On the other hand, buying 2 keyed-alike locksets would only cost $70. plus s/h. Anyone done anything with these locks?

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph K. Compton

not being familiar with the brand, is this a door KNOB, that takes the same looking blank as a Kwikset, or is this the flat paddle type flush in the door handle? SOME of the latter that I have seen are spun welded together and CANNOT be rekeyed.. there is no way of getting the plug out.. so, you replace the lock assembly..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

These are the flat "paddle" type but I have not tried to disassemble one yet. Here is a picture of one but this supplier cannot provide any mfg. information for me.

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph K. Compton

thats the one I was thinking of, EXACTLY.. the one on the handle part, look on the BACK of the lock, and if you do NOT see a screw or bolt, holding the tail piece on, it cannot as it SETS, be rekeyed.. would take a completly NEW lock and tail piece.. the things are assembled and the tail piece is 'under pressure', SPUN WELDED in place.. an interesting process, and no actual welding as such is used.. (think a HUGE rivet head) and it canot AFAIK, be cut apart and then reassembled. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Seems like kinda a cheesy thing to put on an RV. Each cylinder on a lock be KA but the front and rear doors on the RV will be KD. Looks like the only way around this is to order the 2 locks KA. Now if I can order a few of these I might be able to make some beer money changing them out for folks who don't want to deal with separate keys for front and rear doors. Next step is to find out just who actually makes these locks. AND, what blanks are used. I've gone through my key tree and my other blanks and don't have a fit. Haven't seen anything in the ILCO catalog that looks right so time for a trip to my distributer.

Reply to
Ralph K. Compton

If you remove the FIC lock you will find a phone number for the manufacturer.

Reply to
mikejxms

I don't know about the hardware but the blanks are available from "Blue Dog"

Reply to
Paul

have found Y 11 or 12, or such,, OR the TRIMARK series..

101am-105am if I remember right...Ilco number, BTW..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

G'day Ralph. Check out the link below, look under 'architectural' locks. Cheers.

Steve Paris