GM codes

Tim, Would'nt advise you to hold your breath for several reasons. One of them is that ALOA is not as big on auto as they used to be.More and more of the literature I get is for safes, commercial locks, access control.Hardly any auto.

I can remember the first time I ever called in for a code.It was a cavalier.Keys with a remote locked in it. Cold March and practically horizontal rain and lightning-I really did'nt want to mess with door tools or any of that. I call it in-get the code-direct-cut the thing-go out-try it-no dice..... About this time the owner told me they did'nt use the key-just the remote. Managed to open the door lock with a wave key in about 10 minutes. Come to find out the key I cut started the car-but did'nt open the door. Locks on doors had been changed.

I doubt if there is any concensus on this, but most locksmiths do not depend on code information only.Codes do make it somewhat easier and faster. Makes a difference when you have a customer waiting. Or when you have a manager of a business wating and time is money.

I've originated quite a few just by using a determinator or impressoining or wafer-reading with a blank or try-out keys. And I can see Key's point on the liability aspect, but then again, thats why I'm insured.

goma.

Reply to
goma865

There are code services that either buy copies of the auotmakers databases outright or buy access to them and then offer code by VIN. An example is:

There are others.

Most of their clients are repo people. The ones I have seen are generally too expensive for locksmiths unless you charge a premium to cover your cost. There use to be 1-800 access for Pontiac codes. The number is still a working Pontiac cust service # but AFAIK they will no longer give codes, and it may have never been an officially sanctioned thing. But 4 or 5 years ago you could give them the company name and city as listed with information and they would call you at the listed number, or if you weren't there the customer could fax the title and they would call you back at whatever number you gave them on a code request. In general it took too much time to be worthwhile unless you were at the number listed with information.

Reply to
Steve

you just said "dealers" I just added GM dealers. just know that the ford dealers and the gm dealers around here get their codes direct from the manufactures. least that's what they say..

Reply to
Key

agree, but those are not direct access with the manufactures. I was talking about the locksmith NOT having direct access with the manufactures these days.

agree, there also was seperate 1-800 numbers different the gm lines and other manufactures.

agree <dang it>

back then we were dealer recomended and on many of the dealers preferred list. (because we were the locksmiths for every major dealership in our area) got all the lock-outs we could handle. believe it was "officially sanctioned" until some abused the intended availabilty.

g'day

Reply to
Key