Group is dead other than Key fighting with trolls

Says who you? Again if what any of you are saying was worth the price of a cup of coffee you wouldn't be able to buy a residential double cylinder deadbolt yet millions are sold and in use and they block egress FROM EVEN THE INSIDE without the proper key. All the lock in question here does is give people on the inside the ability to lock out everyone even people with a key. Fire, Police, EMS NONE OF THEM are going to have a key anyway. Go to any marginal or bad neighborhood in any big city and you will find hundreds of apartments with auxillary deadbolts, often more than one, that can only be operated from the inside. Same for damn near every commercial 'back door' entrance in america. So so much for the arguments you have been able to muster.

Reply to
Tim Mathews

commercial buildings? building code says door MUST open OUT, without the need for a key..has to do with a mob panic thing.. how many fires in night clubs etc that the exits were blocked??? assuming there IS a code in use and its enforced.. this came because of the big fire in NYC many years ago-the 'sweat shop' had the doors locked and no one could leave, place caught on fire.. thats life safety.. is it done otherwise? sure.. how big is the law suit for wrongful death when the accident happens???

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

-snip- Naw Tim isn't whining. He's trying to bait Key and Key is (pretty much) ignoring him which is driving Tim nuts.

Reply to
Steve

ohhhhh contrare, this group is not dead, I just don't post much. Easiest resolution, is to place all spammers and BS posters on ignore. It takes care of most !!!!

Jack

Reply to
JACK

From the standpoint of being able to exit at all times, the lock is probably just fine. However:

My mom goes to visit my grandfather (true story) and through the glass panel on the door sees him lying on the kitchen floor. The doors are locked. She has a key. It works. She goes in, renders some aid, and phones for paramedics. This was before cell phones.

Now, supposing she was locked out. Her key doesn't work. Whatever. She isn't strong enough to break in herself. Neighbor isn't home. She runs up and down the street yelling and knocking on doors until someone comes out whereupon the paramedics are summoned, they break down the door and go in. Poor grandpa had to lay there a little longer before getting necessary medical assistance.

As it was, grandpa had a stroke and had already been on the floor for some time.

Now from the fire department standpoint, residential door jambs are mostly not able to withstand the kick of a fireman's turnout boot. Usually the jamb splits and the door remains intact. And the lag time between a fireman seeing someone on the ground and taking out the door is very short. Maybe 2 seconds.

Now, whether or not I would have such a lock? I doubt it. I don't see a need in my situation. And when my son and his wife come to spend the weekend they sometimes arrive late, after the wife and I have turned in. He has a key, they let themselves in.

Reply to
Ralph

agree, it took care of troll-boy-timmy for me :-)

Reply to
Key