hep please: broken antique key in lock

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for taking the time and offering whatever help you can...even if it ultimately is, "call a locksmith!"

Here's the story, any help is greatly appreciated:

I've got an antique desk with a folding front. It has a key and a lock on the front. THe key looks something like this:

I've never turned the key, and recently, someone did. Not only did it lock the desk up, the key became stuck in the locked position. Unable to turn the key back to the unlocked position, I used pliers to grip the key and turn.

Well, guess what, the metal at the end of the key snapped off and is now stuck in the lock. So, the desk is permanently locked until I can get that piece out and get a key to open it up.

Is it possible for me to get it out? Also, will it be possible to replace this key? There is another lock on this desk that is currently stuck on the locked position, and I can't close it without a key. Also, I can post pictures of the actual lock and key, if that will help.

Thanks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

a 'post type' key..

they turned it too far, OR something is under the edge of the desk, putting a load on it..

maybe.. BIG trick will be getting the LOAD off the lock cam.. SOMETHING is under the edge, or its cocked a bit..

yes, IF you are SURE that the pic you posted IS the right looking key..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Ottawa Canada

Because the key is jammed in an antique desk, you should check the Yellow Pages under locksmiths and phone them and explain the problem to them and they will probably need to drop by your house to work on the locks.

Alternatively, you can maybe save the expense of a service call if you haul the antique desk to the locksmith's shop.

Because the desk is an antique, you want someone working on it who is experienced, patient and carries liability insurance in case he damages the antique.

Good luck.

Brian

Steve B ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) writes: > Hi All, >

Reply to
Brian K.Lingard

Don't call a locksmith, call someone who works with furniture.

This is a very easy piece of locksmithing (if that key is accurate) and any competent furniture restorer is also something of a locksmith, at least to the level of simple lever locks. You'll do better with them than with an expert safe locksmith who knows nothing of wood finishing.

If, as is usual, your "antique" is more old than valuable, you can also replace such a lock entirely. Modern equivalents are perfectly respectable - try someone like Lee Valley for examples of high quality appropriate hardware.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

an update....

Seems that Major manufacturing CO now sells Junie antique style furniture locks. Has 25 styles available.

I have NOT looked at the site yet, just was catching up reading some magazines

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--