How to find a locksmith that can open a safe?

An uncle of mine died recently. Among other things, he owned a safe. At the moment, the safe is pretty well covered with other stuff and we don't have too much information about it.

What we do know is that it is probably at least 50 years old, has a combination dial with letters instead of numbers, is approximately

36 x 39 x 31 and is on 6" wheels. There isn't any identifying information (manufacturer) on the front of the safe; the sides and top aren't accessible yet.

Any suggestions as to type of safe (or what to look for as other stuff is cleared away) and how to find a lock smith that can open it in a non-destructive manner?

Thanks,

Art

Reply to
Art S

If it's on wheels and isn't some 2000+ monster you are probably dealing with an old fire safe. You should be able to look in the yellow pages and find a locksmith near you that can do it or post a request to clearstar public section for a tech near you.

Reply to
DB

IIRR, its a Yale lock (WILL stand corrected) and there are some 'common combinations' if its the model I am thinking of..which for you is very good.

go to

post in the PUBLIC section, that you got a lettered dial safe, and need it opened NON destructive.. OR
and find someone on that list near you. describe the safe as to description of the handle.. AND what it says on the dial as well.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Perhaps in this time of the internet we forget, but your local phone book is a good start. See safes and vaults or locksmiths for people near you. A few phone calls should give you a real good idea of costs and availability of local talent.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

g'luck

Reply to
"Key

If you feel adventurous, you might try opening it yourself. Think of it as a hobby. Years ago at the library of Congress, I read a book called, "The Art of Manipulation" by Clyde Lentz and Bill Kenton.. Recently, while surfing the web, I found a pdf file with the same information. The link is posted below.

The book has been re-released. The link and copy are below.

(You don't have to buy it...the info is in the link above.)

The Art of Safe Manipulation

Open Combination Locks Without Drilling, Burning, or Forcing! This is the real deal and not a watered down version. The Art of Manipulation was written for locksmiths and safe professionals in order to improve their technique and knowledge of opening and servicing safes. This manual will familiarize you with why manipulation is possible and how it is accomplished.

The Art of Manipulation illustrates the step-by-step procedures needed to manipulate lever type fence locks. Additionally, it explains the methods used in the rotary fence gear driven, rotary fence spring loaded, straight in tail piece, bottom drop, and off-set gear driven type locks.

Manipulation, also known as the "Hear, Feel, and See" method, was discovered and developed by a small group of safe experts. After much deliberation, two of these experts decided to pass on their information to other safe professionals and published this invaluable book.

Availability: Usually ships in 5-7 business days.

$212.00

Tom

Reply to
Tom