HPC Blitz ?

O.K. I've been an advocate for my ITL 950 code machine for many years now, but the old girl is getting on (10 years +) and even though she cuts to perfection, she is becoming moody and unreliable. Mother board prob's, as well as sticky micro switches & power control issues etc etc, (second trip down to Brisbane for repairs in 12 months). For the past few weeks I have had to use a plastic 'rap' hammer to persuade her to start & stop. I get the impression that most of the guys on this NG use HPC 1200 / Blitz machines. I've never used one, and just wonder if I would be taking a 'backward' step in buying one, instead of going for another ITL 950. The price difference between the two is not that much. Are they a pain in the arse to set up?, cards to find, cutting wheels to swap around, etc, as with the ITL 950, I can knock out a key to code from start to finish in around 10 seconds (if the ITL # is known). I value your opinions !

Reply to
Steve Paris

I have had experience with my Code Pro, the HPC, and the Framon.

As far as the best bang for the buck I like the Code Pro. It's biggest limitation is that it does not cut angle cuts. Some folks have issues with the guy that invented it, but I like it.

The Framon is an excelent value, and once you get used to its design, it will do the job for many years without too much grief. Down side in my personel view is that often keys need to be loaded left handed, and cutting lots of keys for a master key system can be a boring and arduios task.

The HPC 1200 has some things going for it as far as simplicity and ease of use. The downsides I see are the never ending card purchases and the design does not allow for easy and precise adjustment. Once wear sets in you still can get keys that will work, but you may have some futzing to do.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Thanks Roger. Hopefully they will be able to rejuvenate the old girl, and I'll save myself about $6,000 skermootoe's. I suppose 10 years of trouble free running is pretty good. Cheers.

Reply to
Steve Paris

Steve,

The factory in southern California will refurbish that ITL 950.... new board ect for about 1/3 the cost of a new one

Reply to
Keyman55

Thanks for the info, but it's on it's way down to KABA in Brisbane for repairs. Fingers crossed they can fix it.

Reply to
Steve Paris

good choice Steve. thanks again package.....

Reply to
Key